starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shoulder popping without pain

Default Shoulder popping without pain

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Cause for concern? I don't bench, and only strict press and weighted chin ups for upper body training. Since beginning HLM and following a Heavy, Medium, Medium schedule for overhead press, I've noticed my shoulder began to pop during certain movements. Always without pain though. My press form is on point, as I've already being to a form session with Andy Baker in July. Anyone else experience this?

Quote Originally Posted by heavyiron8 View Post
    Cause for concern? I don't bench, and only strict press and weighted chin ups for upper body training. Since beginning HLM and following a Heavy, Medium, Medium schedule for overhead press, I've noticed my shoulder began to pop during certain movements. Always without pain though. My press form is on point, as I've already being to a form session with Andy Baker in July. Anyone else experience this?
    Popping without pain does not keep me up at night as a PT. Popping with sharp, very well localized pain virtually every time it pops is a different story.

Bench press is very good for ac joints.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Morris View Post
    Popping without pain does not keep me up at night as a PT. Popping with sharp, very well localized pain virtually every time it pops is a different story.

Bench press is very good for ac joints.
    I'm currently doing 13 sets of overhead press per week spread out over 3 days. On heavy days, I do a top set of 5, follow by 4 back off sets that are also fairly heavy. Then another 4 sets of 5 on both the following medium days. Is there any chance of accumulating an overuse injury in the long term, even if my form is correct?

No, maybe, yes, I don't know.....

I'd certainly consider putting bench press back in the mix and alternating press days with bench.

No, maybe, yes, I don't know.....

I'd certainly consider putting bench press back in the mix and alternating press days with bench.
    I can't bench without flaring up my golfer's elbow. I've tried everything form pin fire chin ups to just training through it. Nothing works. I guess new plan is to do weighted dips on light days?

I can't bench without flaring up my golfer's elbow. I've tried everything form pin fire chin ups to just training through it. Nothing works. I guess new plan is to do weighted dips on light days?
    What constitutes everything?

What constitutes everything?
    What do you mean?

Sorry, i meant I tried to fix my form, but it was correct as I went for a form check with Andy in July. I tried to slowly ramp up the weights over weeks, and it still hurts when the weights start to get heavy, pin fire chins, just ignoring it and training through it.

Sorry, i meant I tried to fix my form, but it was correct as I went for a form check with Andy in July. I tried to slowly ramp up the weights over weeks, and it still hurts when the weights start to get heavy, pin fire chins, just ignoring it and training through it.
    I have to question the diagnosis of golfer's elbow if bench press bothers it.

starting strength coach development program
    Out of curiosity if there is a chance the press can cause overuse injury if done too much, how come the squat doesn't have the same risk?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast