starting strength gym

Thread: Flat feet and knee cave-in

Default Flat feet and knee cave-in

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    After an exhaustive hunt through past threads on the forum using the handy Search Function, I realized flat feet (or "fallen arches") were likely the culprit in my inability to keep my knees out, even on the descent.

I promptly ordered some weightlifting shoes with a metatarsal strap as recommended, got some orthotics, and this is the result:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6hAT40SVCE

Is this still an excessive amount of pronation?

I don't see any problems with your knees. If you are doing a low bar squat, I'd like to see you fix your wrists and grip. I also suspect you are not using your hips like you should on the squat, but it is tough to say from here. Whatever the case, your knees are fine. If you post another video, please find a way to get some more light in your training area.

Thanks very much for that Tom, and sorry about the lack of light. I was originally intending to use the video for my own purposes, but later decided to get some feedback from a more experienced pair of eyes. I'll do my best to fix this for any future recordings.

It just seemed like they were caving in a bit at the very bottom, but I'm damn glad to hear they're OK. I guess the shoes solved the issue.

I thought you might pick up on my grip - I actually wrote to Rip about this, as I have been having a hell of a time getting flexible enough. If I spend 20 minutes stretching, I can usually get my wrists and thumb over the bar. Planning to get another series of massages, so we'll see. It's basically been hell trying to get that aspect of the squat correct, but I'm very aware of it. I don't know how else to fix it.

To be fair, the grip is the first thing to compromise if someone cannot comfortably do it. However, a more secure grip on the bar is nice to have. It sounds like you are doing the right things.