starting strength gym

Thread: Body Placement on Bench

Default Body Placement on Bench

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Novice here, just trying to get the movements down and add some weight.

There is one thing about the bench press I am unclear on. From watch Rip's video (around 3:40 in the AoM bench vid), he says the proper placement on the bench is so your eyes looking up is on the front side (towards the feet) of the bar. My understanding is the reason is so the bar doesn't hit the uprights on the way up.

I've noticed by watching folks at the gym, that NOBODY actually uses this placement. Looking through Youtube I can also not find anyone who seems to bench this way. Even on Jordan's training vids (maybe I'm judging wrong from the angle?) Everyone seems to align so their vision is on the other side (towards the head) of the bar.

Now, I know most people in the gym probably have no idea what they're doing, so I don't mind using different technique. But I'm asking because, in the position Rip recommends, it seems like I'm reaching back to unrack the bar. And in that position of reaching back, I have a really hard time keeping the scapula tight against the bench.

Just curious for any thoughts on the subject.
    Last edited by autumnal; 08-25-2017 at 03:22 PM.

I start with eyes on the rack side of the bar.

But when I take my arch, my butt stays put and my shoulders move down a couple inches, leaving me where Rip recommends -- eyes on the feet side of the bar.

I let my butt come up off the bench to help me unrack w/o losing my shoulder placement, but get it back down before starting the set.
    A handoff from a spotter would be nicer, I guess. But I usually lift alone.

Forget about people at the gym.

The upward of the bar eye position helps you when you're benching alone. You don't have so far a distance you have to move the bar out off of the pins to get it in balance over your shoulders.

You can do the downward of bar position when you have a spotter much more easily.