starting strength gym

Thread: Squat check - heel coming up (x-post from technique)

Default Squat check - heel coming up (x-post from technique)

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    For a good few months now, I've noticed my heel coming up a little on heavier squats (volume and intensity day of TM). Maybe it's just obvious and I need to "sit back" more, since the weight must be tracking a little forward of my midfoot, but I'm curious for a more detailed diagnosis from real coaches. If anyone has specific cues that might help, that would be great. I've made some half-hearted attempts to sit back a bit, but it feels awfully strange.

This video shows my 4th and 5th sets of 325x5x5. I'm cycling intensity day, so this past Friday I did 385 for 5 singles.

Thanks in advance, I know you all do these critiques out of the kindness of your hearts.

Squat form check 6-14-16 - YouTube

You are definitely bouncing off your knees instead of your posterior chain. Everyone bounces off something in the squat: either its the hamstrings and glutes, or its the knees. You are bouncing off the knees as evidenced by your knees moving forward (and then backward) significantly in the bottom of the squat.

I would suggest your lower slower, keep sitting back and have the knees only track forward (and out) for the top 1/3 of the lift. Maintain tightness in the posterior chain (the back of the body).

Thanks, coach. Would you suggest I reduce my weights to work on this, or do you find that people can typically make this kind of form adjustment while continuing with their current progress? In other words, should I expect to be significantly weaker bouncing off my posterior chain as opposed to my knees?

Try it without reducing the weight. If it is crushing you, back off to a point where you can implement the form changes and work up from there.

330 5x5 was very difficult on Tuesday when I tried implementing the form adjustment. For each set, I felt the new groove my first couple of reps, but really struggled to finish the sets and form broke down on rep 5 (probably because my torso/PC isn't used to holding this slightly different position). I also felt like my hips were a little higher at the bottom of the squat, but not above parallel according to an onlooker.

I realized the next day that I probably need to turn my toes out a few degrees. I guess it's due to anthropometry, but in any case, slowing down and moving my bounce from my knees to my glutes and hips seemed to work a lot better on my light day yesterday when I also adjusted my foot position a bit.

I'll keep at it and maybe post an updated vid if things are still feeling off next week. Thanks for all the help.