starting strength gym

Thread: Squat position check, please.

Default Squat position check, please.

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hello Coaches,

I have just recently moved on to low bar after squatting high bar for past year and a bit.

I am just wondering if my back is too vertical in these squats this is at 140 kgs which is still far from my 1RM however I just wanted to test out low bar today.
    So after searching through the forums found Coach rippetoe was asked this question before and he said it's related to bar placement.

My question : is my bar placement still too high and could that be the cause for my hybrid squat.

Low bar test 140kg - YouTube

And any tips on how to stop habits of trainees that started with high bar?

Thank you.

A single filmed that close to you and captured from a standing position is tough to talk about. Please read the sticky, which by the way has to be the fourth or fifth time I have typed this very phrase in the last few hours, to find out what you need to do. Your bar placement looks fine, but you should try putting your thumb on the other side of the bar. Look at the video on bar placement on this site.

Hello Coach,
    Thank you for your response.
    I honestly was mainly interested with the bar placement which is why I did that close up video.

Here is a set of 4 that I did today 128 kg this was my 5th set of volume day. It took me a while to get used to low bar. Sorry about the power rack however I am too much of a pussy to try doing low bar without safeties as I find difficult to bail out of in comparison to high bar.

128 last set low bar - YouTube

I tried to put my thumbs over the bar and I keep getting a really sharp pinch throughout my whole hand and wrist.

Using a power rack is not a character deficiency. It is smart. It allows you to push your limits without worrying about dumping the bar. Since I am not there, I cannot tell you any more than is explained in the videos on bar position or in the book. Did you vary your grip width and hand postion? Maybe, maybe not. The position of your thumb is not a make it or break it thing. However, it does help contract the musculature of the upper back. Your squats are not too bad, otherwise, although you do appear to be on your toes. The bar needs to stay over the middle of your foot. Think of sitting back a little more to keep yourself in better balance.

I have been trying to correct the toes issue I get it in some reps and others if I focus on it, it disappears. I'll play around with the thumbs up because the more tightness the better.

This might be a silly question, the low bar squat is very stable and my hip pain that I used to have from high bar dive-bombing is fully gone, however, I feel really really unsteady in the unracking and walkout part of the lift is that just because I am still getting used to low bar (it has only been a week since I changed over I didn't decrease my weights just maintained what I did last week) or perhaps an issue with tightness?

starting strength coach development program
    I have a feeling your issues with racking and unracking the bar will abate with more experience. Glad to hear your hip pain is getting better.