starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: recommended reading

Default recommended reading

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    EliteFTS often has a list of their endorsed reading, I was wondering if the SS coaches had any recommendations as well. I've read SS, practical programming, all the justin lascek TM books, couple of Wendlers. Im not just interested in programming those books are just the most widely known.

Brooks and Fahey : Exercise Physiology
    Science and Practice of Strength Training- Zatsiorsky 2nd Edition
    The Strongest Shall Survive- Bill Starr
    The Purposeful Primitive- Marty Gallagher

I'd like to know the prerequisites for books like Exercise Physiology and the one by Zatsiorsky. Any recommendations of good learning material(textbooks I guess)?

I am glad Peb posted that instead of me.

Those posts are great, but I posted here for a specific reason. After watching Sully's presentation about the coaches contributing to the exercise science review I figured what better place to find some quality recommendations. I guess I should have attached a form check for it to be taken seriously.

Don't get upset, Mr. Manimal. I was simply happy that I didn't have to dig up some older threads where this has been discussed.

What would you recommend if you had to choose just 1 or 2 books in addition to Rip's? I signed up for the Level 2 seminar in Westminster, MD. I have about 4 months to prepare, and I want to give myself the best chance to pass the exam for the certificate (the SS Coach credential is probably out of reach). I'll eventually expand my library, but I need to prioritize where I spend my time, especially since I'll be adjusting to my return to the states. For now, I'm planning on Brooks & Fahey as well as Netter's.

Trent Bologna Guest

Science and Practice of Strength Training is readable by just about anybody. Many of the other books are not. Start there and branch off as necessary. If you're interested in speed-strength sports you will need to read Verkhoshansky and really understand him (most people really do not). There is no other way.

Trent Bologna Guest

starting strength coach development program
    "You need both of Starr's books, Brooks and Fahey, Siff's Supertraining (even if you can't read it, you need to try)" -- Mark Rippetoe circa AD 2009

Stiff is not the first author of Supertraining but I continue to see the book attributed to him like this. It is Verkhoshansky's book and Verkhoshansky's work. As far as I can tell he hooked up with Stiff because Andrew Charniga was not providing very good translations into English.

Regards
    Trent

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast