starting strength gym

Thread: Extra press day?

Default Extra press day?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hi there,

On his YouTube channel, Grant Broggi recommends an extra press or bench press day after what would have been your last workout of the week on NLP, doing 5x5 with 90% of what you did previously. E.g if you normally train on Monday, Wednesday and Friday, and you bench press on Wednesday, you will do an extra bench press day on Saturday.

The link to the video is here: HOW TO HAVE A BIG BENCH PRESS WITH STARTING STRENGTH | This is the way! - YouTube

Apparently, the idea is to help people whose presses and bench presses are lagging, though I would have thought it would be beneficial for anyone.

Is this an approach endorsed by Starting Strength in general? I like the idea of anything that would help my press, but would it not interfere with recovery time?

Thanks in advance.

My approach is detailed in PPST3: Practical Programming for Strength Training, 3rd edition – The Aasgaard Company

The novice program works perfectly as it is. If an intermediate lifter, as defined in the book, wants to add a bench or a press day, fine. I have always said that if you want a big press, you have to press 4x/week.

Ok, thanks Mark