starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Texas Method OHP+BP

Default Texas Method OHP+BP

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    How do you guys train the OHP and bench in the Texas method?

I'm applying the TM ebook principle of letting the gap between squat volume day and intensity day increase to allow less "volume warrior" style training.

How do you apply that to OHP and Bench? As they are trained once every fortnight would letting the gap increase not really be effective, as by the time you train again you have probably fully recovered.

It seems my upper body needs more volume than lower due to the one week on, one week off work.

Or just some useful accessory work perhaps?

EDIT: What days do you put accessory work in? Intensity or Volume?

My volume days for those lifts usually went up as my intensity did. So a 3 lb increase in the volume would correlate to a 3 lb increase on the volume day. I think my OHP ended up being 89ish percent of the 5 rep Intensity target and the bench at like 92 percent of the 5 rep target. I just responded better to higher volume.

I added accessory work the day after volume day or on intensity day because then I had a couple of days to recover anyway before next volume day.

With the squat, the TM ebook says to aim for about a 30lbs gap between squat volume day and squat ID.

What sort of gap have you guys built up between OHP&BP volume and Intensity days?

Or is it as DCP says not much of a gap at all?

Quote Originally Posted by nevermind View Post
    With the squat, the TM ebook says to aim for about a 30lbs gap between squat volume day and squat ID.

What sort of gap have you guys built up between OHP&BP volume and Intensity days?

Or is it as DCP says not much of a gap at all?
    Pretty positive a 30lb gap on squat VD and ID isn't recommended. I think in the book he recommends more like 60-70lb (though those lifters are stronger than most).

The other thread established that somewhere between 80-90% of ID on VD is appropriate for most people to spur progression, the middle ground being a solid starting point. Obviously then it's ideal to push this number as long as possible to facilitate recovery.

Quote Originally Posted by Moustache View Post
    Pretty positive a 30lb gap on squat VD and ID isn't recommended. I think in the book he recommends more like 60-70lb (though those lifters are stronger than most).
    Thats me being European, I meant 30kilos, roughly 65lbs. Typo

I don't think I could build up a 30kilo difference between 5 sets across and 5RM on the OHP or bench though, will try 90% volume to ID

60-70lbs between squat VD and ID?? That seems like a huge gap to me. There's no way I'd be able to hit 70lbs over my 5x5 for a 5RM.

Well the idea isn't to increase your 5x5 max every VD, the goal is to increase your 5RM (or whatever rep scheme youre using) on ID. So we try to use as little volume as needed to spur ID onward - not so much that it burns you out and kills your ID, not so little that it doesn't induce the necessary adaptation.

That's why so many people burn out using the TM - ultra heavy volume days can drive you into the ground.

If you favor the bench over the press you could just press heavy 3x5 every light day (this will be light relative to a bench press) and try to maintain weekly linear progression in this form, while benching volume/intensity days.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazzin View Post
    If you favor the bench over the press you could just press heavy 3x5 every light day (this will be light relative to a bench press) and try to maintain weekly linear progression in this form, while benching volume/intensity days.
    I don't understand why this would work.
    After 5x5 bench you've placed a ton of stress on the pressing musculature , namely the triceps and front delts , and on light day you're not supposed to have recovered.
    Why would you train heavy press ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast