starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 3" vs 4" Belt - Any feedback/experience?

Default 3" vs 4" Belt - Any feedback/experience?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I've recently decided on purchasing a belt, most likely going with Best Belts. Does anyone have any input on 3" vs 4" belts? Saw that 3" best belt thread but unsure if people got theirs in or not and had time to test.

If it matters I'm male, 5'10, 180lbs, so... "average" size torso?

Note - If anyone cares called inzer on 7/11/12 and they have a ~2 week backlog for large & black (...), the type they usually have in stock.

Quote Originally Posted by Ezpeasy View Post
    I've recently decided on purchasing a belt, most likely going with Best Belts. Does anyone have any input on 3" vs 4" belts? Saw that 3" best belt thread but unsure if people got theirs in or not and had time to test.

If it matters I'm male, 5'10, 180lbs, so... "average" size torso?

Note - If anyone cares called inzer on 7/11/12 and they have a ~2 week backlog for large & black (...), the type they usually have in stock.
    I am still a newbie but I am 5'8 with a 4 inch belt. I think my torso is pretty average. It does ok except sometimes when I bend a little it will poke my rib and I have to lower it some. I should probably have gotten a 3 inch but they were harder to find.

If you are a 5'10" male - I would recommend going with a standard 4"belt. I am the same height, 4" is perfect. The 3" works well for women (who tend to be shorter) and short men. Some people like a 3" belt specifically for deadlifts, because it wont rub against the lower ribs as much.

But if you are going to be using the belt for squatting - I'd say go with the 4". You will also have to choose a thickness. I personally didn't like the 13mm I had previously because it was very stiff, and did bruise my lower ribs whenever I'd use it for deadlifting. Dean made me an 11mm, so it was between the standard 10mm and 13mm, and it has worked perfectly for me.

Is 3" bad for squats? or, not as good? It seems most people like 4" for squats, but get some rib rubbing/bruising on it while doing deadlifts.

I'll be using this for both squats and DLs.

Its not 'bad', it just doesn't give you as much surface area for your abs to brace against. Honestly - as long as you don't get a superthick/stiff belt (dean usually pre-breaks his belts in for you), the rubbing against the ribs on deads isn't as big a deal. My Inzer used to kill my ribs, since getting my best belt (which again is 11mm), I hardly notice it anymore.

I ordered a belt from best belts a few days ago, and they said it won't ship until the 20th. Maybe it's just because of the color, but they might be back logged as well.

Hm. Looks like 4" 10-11mm is the best belt (ha...ha?) for me then.

What color did you get Kaz? And maybe a stupid question, but did you just order off the website or via email?

Maroon. Ordered through the website.

The stated shipping time seems to be a long estimate. Remember - Dean pretty much makes these things by hand to order. He custom made mine, and I want to say in was in my hands in less than 10 days.

Ezpeasy - Personally - even though the website is back up and running, I would still call Dean. He is a really cool guy, and by telling him what kind of lifter you are/your likes and dislikes in previous belts you've used . . . etc, he will make sure you are getting the exact belt that is right for you. Also - if you talk to him, he can make it custom for you. My waste size is 33.5" (I have no idea what that equates to Large vs XL . . .etc.). When I spoke to him and told him this, he made sure the exact middle hole fit me right at my waste size. Now I have plenty of room to go either way. Also, my alma matter is Florida State. When he asked me about color, I asked if he could make me a garnet and gold one. He made the belt garnet, with gold stitching. The belt is ridiculious quality, and I love it. Customer Service is seriously the best I have experienced with any company, anywhere.

starting strength coach development program
    I currently own the 4" Best best and will soon own the 3" Best belt. I love the 4" belt for everything but deads and bent over rowing work. I am 5'6ish on a good day and it is not comfortable. of course the 3" came out 3 weeks after I purchased the 4". My 3" one will be here in a few days and I am sure it will be well worth the price just as the 4" belt was. Awesome quality for the money you are paying. Also when you order online it asks your waist size so Dean can set the center hole at your current size,It also tells you exactly where and how to measure since you don't want to give your pants size.
    Last edited by tcul1972; 07-13-2012 at 06:15 PM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast