starting strength gym

Thread: My supersecret hip anterior hip stretch...

Default My supersecret hip anterior hip stretch...

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    ...is walking. I like the more involved mobility stuff just fine, but my favorite way to loosen up tight anterior hips is to walk the dog. I do this subtle move where I sort of lag my foot behind me ever so slightly on each step while contracting that leg's glute. Same principle as Kelly Starrett's contract-relax thing. Not to worry--it doesn't visibly change your gait, so you won't look palsied. I'll do this for maybe fifty or so steps in a row periodically throughout a long walk. Feels great and seems to undo some of the nasty stiffness caused by chair sitting.

Anybody else do the same thing?

I've been doing nothing but putting off work by squabbling in E&P all afternoon, so I figured I'd contribute something of value.

I do this when I walk sometimes. Probably makes me look like I'm trying to walk out a wedgie or something.

I use the one where your in a kneeling position, but you put your rear foot up on something, with the knee touching the ground (basically, your knee angle is completely closed and you leg is fixed in position) with your forward leg propped up. When you lean back even a little (just getting completely upright) you can really feel a stretch there. I find it convenient and effective enough. I need to get back in the habit of doing that and foam rolling. Ugh...

Quote Originally Posted by Eric K View Post
    I use the one where your in a kneeling position, but you put your rear foot up on something, with the knee touching the ground (basically, your knee angle is completely closed and you leg is fixed in position) with your forward leg propped up. When you lean back even a little (just getting completely upright) you can really feel a stretch there. I find it convenient and effective enough. I need to get back in the habit of doing that and foam rolling. Ugh...
    Couch stretch. I love this one to.

Yeah, that's my other go-to.