starting strength gym

Thread: Strength training for cardio athletes

Default Strength training for cardio athletes

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I love lifting and getting stronger. I am at a bodyweight of 170lbs, up from 155. Squat 5x225, Deadlift 5x315, Bench 5x175, Press 5x100, Power Clean 3x155, Pull-ups 5xBW+60lbs. I have been following your plan (with a few occasional variations) for about a year. However, I have been struggling with recovery because of other activities I am involved in.

I attend a service academy, and, unfortunately, the military generally values cardio much more than strength. Twice a year, I have to complete a fitness test involving a 2-mile run. I am currently on the crew team, which practices 5 days a week, usually doing 1+ hrs of cardio exercise (rowing, hill sprints, running stairs). Every other day, I spend an hour in an MMA/grappling class. As much as a want to stick to the Starting Strength framework, I have been unable to recover adequately from the large amount of exercise I do.

I sleep eight hours every night and eat as much as I can. I also drink at least a half gallon of chocolate milk every day.

Would I still be able to build/maintain strength lifting 2 times a week?

2x/week is not optimum for strength training, but it will work better for you under these catabolic circumstances.