starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Texas Method Routine Check

Default Texas Method Routine Check

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hi Coach,

First of all, thanks for all the information, it's refreshing to find someone that knows what they're talking about in the weightlifting world.

A few months ago I started the Starting Strength program as a convert from a teeny-bodybuilder. I fixed my form on my lifts and made good strength gains, but I have stalled my linear progression. My current bests are:
    Sq: 335 -> 3x5
    Bp: 200-> 3x5
    Dl: 340-> 1x5
    Press: 125 -> 3x5
    Powerclean: 180 -> 5x3

17 years old, 5'6-7ish", 155lb (I know, I know, I need to eat more, I'm working on it)

According to the strength tables, and the fact that I have stalled linear progression, I have concluded I'm an Intermediate and have decided to start the Texas Method next week. would this routine be yay or nay?

Monday
    Squat 5x5
    Bench Press 5x5
    Deadlift 1x5

Wednesday
    Front Squat 3x3
    Press 3x3
    Powercleans 3x3

Friday
    Squat alternate weekly between Heavy single and 20 rep squat
    Bench Press Heavy single
    Deadlift Heavy Single

Once again thank you.

Mark.

I'll KSC or Mr. Lascek comment on this. Clue: his deadlift numbers.

I'm curious to see a video of his squats to see how close to paralell he actually gets.

I think I'd like to see a 155lb kid squatting 335 for 5. Please post a vid.

Rip, I'd like to take a stab at this one. Please let me know if I'm way off.

I'm going to take the easy way out and point out two possible issues, since I'm not manly enough to stick to one. One thing I noticed is that you, little Mark, have got a killer squat, very impressive for someone of your size and training history. I would expect a better deadlift from someone who can squat this well. I don't think its impossible for you to truely have these numbers, just a little bit odd. I would certainly like to check out your squat, especially your depth, to see if those numbers are a little inflated. The second thing I've noticed is that your plan includes what amounts to two high intensity deadlift days per week. Sure, there isn't a lot of volume there, but you still might have difficulty recovering fully. I'm not saying it can't be done or don't do it, just watch yourself closely.

And since this was my first post I'd like to thank you Mr. Rippetoe. I am greatly in your debt for introducing me to the barbell.

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Marotta View Post
    I fixed my form on my lifts and made good strength gains, but I have stalled my linear progression.
    17 years old, 5'6-7ish", 155lb (I know, I know, I need to eat more, I'm working on it)
    Don't forget that eating more directly affects the duration of your linear progression. I congratulate you on your progress, but please remember that unless you're eating truckloads of food and doing GOMAD, you're Not Doing The Program™

Ding ding ding!! High Squatter....my guess anyway.

Thanks to Rip for pointing out the 5 lb difference in the squat and dead. If you are training both lifts hard then this means that you are either squatting high and are not as strong as you think you are or you are being a puss on the DL, or your deadlift form is WAY off making heavy weights very hard. The third option is least likely, the first option is most likely.

If you have a true 3x5 max of 335 on the squat, you should be doing between 375-415 lbs for a set of 5 on deadlifts (very rough estimate) depending on your build.

Also, there is no table that determines level of training status. The table you speak of caused alot of confusion about training level which is why rip took it out of the second edition book. JLascek's buddy A.C. is still a novice on most lifts and is a stronger squatter and deadlifter than I am (I think), while most of my lifts are being programmed at the advanced level. Strength has little to do with it.

Lastly, I'm sick of this "I'm working on eating more" bullshit. What is there to work on? Just fucking eat more.

I don't need to look at his deadlift numbers. You have not linearly progressed if you weigh 155. Sorry.

Get to 185 before posting about leaving the linear progression again.

And I agree with the probability of high squatting.
    Last edited by JLascek; 11-18-2009 at 01:46 PM.

Hmmmm. I be interested to see a video of 155 lb guy squatting 335.

starting strength coach development program
    Working on eating more is building up my tolerance to shoving food down my throat, because on multiple occasions I've had to stand over the sink fighting puke back down my throat. And I've gained 30 lb already, and my weight is increasing, but not as quickly anymore.

I checked my squats today and they were a couple degrees high, I dropped to 310lb and I had them at a good depth.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast