starting strength gym

Thread: Backinjury and Rounded Back GMs

Default Backinjury and Rounded Back GMs

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Greetings, Mr. Rippetoe

a couple of weeks ago I injured my back deadlifting. On the fifth rep on my work set, @275#, the lower back rounded a bit too much, and a wreck duly followed.
    I went back to the gym four days after the incident, doing squats with an empty bar, just to keep things and joints mobile. Recovery is going reasonably well, and I think I should not bear any long term consequences from this event.

I have been tinking about what I could do to prevent a repeat performance of this kind. Obviously, straining to keep the lower back in extension at all costs is a major lesson. Avoiding heroics, and letting go of the bar when the lower back starts to give up is another point I've taken home.
    But I was also thinking about trying to get my back to be a bit stronger precisely when it's not holding the perfect curvature.

Bent back goodmornings seem just the right exercise for this, but you explicitly say in your book they are an advanced exercise, and I'm still on the novice program. Iperextensions or regular goodmornings are another obvious way to strengthen the back, but to me they dont' seem to hit quite the right target, as they don't use the disadvantaged mechanics that bent back implies.

The question is therefore as follows: do you think it's worth learning the Rounded Back GM, or should I use a different exercise ? or maybe all these worries are premature, and the best way to get my back strong, at this stage, is to siply carry on lifting ?

thanks a lot in advance for your time.

IPB

I think that if learning to keep your lumbar in extension under load is the thing you can't do, learning to load it in flexion may be a bit premature. Just fix your deadlift.

Understood.
    Many thanks for your advice.

IPB

As far as fixing your deadlift, it's really useful to have someone around who knows for what to look. My deadlift form improved quite a bit when my friend yelled cues for me during my lifts. Simple stuff like "set your back", "keep your back tight", "you're rounding at the top," or "shoulders more over the bar" really make a difference in developing good habits. Especially by reps 3, 4, and 5 when you're tired and your focus turns more into getting this shit done rather than getting it done with excellent form.

Also, physical cues: I once helped out some dude who just "couldn't set his back" without his hips on the floor by having him set up and smacking his back around where it was rounded.

Hi Polynomial,

Quote Originally Posted by Polynomial View Post
    As far as fixing your deadlift, it's really useful to have someone around who knows for what to look.
    yes, it would help, but there are not many people around I could ask. As far as I can remember, I haven't seen anyone else doing DL at the times I go to the gym.

Intriguing nickname, BTW.

Have a good day,

IPB