starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GHD Situps

Default GHD Situps

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Rip,

I've been doing GHD weighted situps using a 25lb bumper as the weight. To make sure I'm doing these correctly I have a few questions I was hoping you can help me with.

1. Do you recomend holding the weight on your chest or holding it behind your neck?

2. Programming- I use these as an assistance exercise (currently on TM) at the end of my workout on Wednesday. Does it make sense to add in another day? All 3 days?

3. Sets & Reps - I am currently doing 3 sets of 10. (these fuckers are decievingly difficult) Is it better to increase the weight, reps, or sets every workout?

I'd just do them unweighted. They are hard enough that way, and if you want to do weighted ab work use a form of the exercise less likely to fuck up your low back in the event of a ROM miscalculation. More weight, shorter ROM transfers better to normal ab function. Roman Chair situps (the actual name of this exercise) is fine as a variation once/week, but I see absolutely no reason to do them, or any other ab assistance exercise without variation, 3x/week.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I'd just do them unweighted. They are hard enough that way, and if you want to do weighted ab work use a form of the exercise less likely to fuck up your low back in the event of a ROM miscalculation. More weight, shorter ROM transfers better to normal ab function. Roman Chair situps (the actual name of this exercise) is fine as a variation once/week, but I see absolutely no reason to do them, or any other ab assistance exercise without variation, 3x/week.
    What's an example of these?

Coach,

I've been doing Roman Chair situps with weight every time I'm in the gym. I thought this was part of the Onus Wunsler program in BBT. It says warmup with 5 minutes on the rowing machine and weighted situps. Is this actually part of the program or have I misinterpreted it?

Thanks Rip.
    I don't know why I call them GHD's- especially since I use a Roman Chair. (picked it up used for $40)
    Does the same hold true for back extentions? No need to do them w/ weight and no need to do them more than 1x a week?

Weighted situps are best done on a regular situp board that holds your feet, or I like the 90-degree bench I have here that places the femurs at right angles to the back. It's a nice short ROM that you can use a lot of weight on. I have no problem with weighted back extensions since they don't seem to be trying as hard to dislocate my SI joint. And I think the GHD-term comes from CrossFit.

I dont have access to either pieces of equipment. What are your thoughts on weighted situps using an ab-mat? Silly bullshit - or useful?

Try them and see. How bad could they be?

Cool.Will do - Thanks Rip.

starting strength coach development program
    While we're on the topic of trunk exercises. What do you think of isometric exercises like L-sits?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast