starting strength gym

Thread: Getting past linear progression and old age

Default Getting past linear progression and old age

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Mark, at age 47, linear progression seems to have plataued after about 18 months of training. I am thinking about the Texas Method as outlined in PP but have some questions. I have been alternating the bench press and press every other workout on a MWF schedule and would like to continue to do so. My question is with the Texas Method employing a volume workout, light workout and intensity workout rotation during the weekly schedule, is alternating the bench press and press still workable. Do I simply substitute a light press day for the light bench bench day and alternate weeks as before? Also, can I work in assistance exercises like pull-ups, chin-ups and dips into the program? Any thoughts from you or anyone would be appreciated.

A sample workout with this alternation is provided in the back of PPST2, pg. 180-181.

If I've learned anything over the years, it's that there is no 'Golden Program'.
    The principles still work, because science is what it is, but being organic beings made of mush, fibre and recovery, we fall off the charts after a while, and need to change up. Some systems are designed (like Westside) with changes built in to accomodate this (changing weights and exersizes) and some do well with alternating systems (like HST and Madcow).
    Wave-periodic, planned overtraining, and other deloading methods allow one to continue with the same system; I just believe us older lifters are more prone to overreaching earlier than our younger counterparts due to lower hormonal levels and thus recovery, but that's just me.

Thanks Mark. I ordered a copy today.