starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jason's Training Log

Default Jason's Training Log

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hello, All! Very new to the boards here, but wanted to start a log for accountability. I was a big lifter all through college, and then my professional life started, marriage, kids, etc. I've lifted on and off over the years (did SL5x5 very successfully in 2012, then took a few months off and lost it) , but want to get back to it now.

Height: 5'10"
    Weight: 190 lbs

Current Lifts
    Squats: 120
    Bench: 150
    Deadlift: 215
    OHP: 105
    Power Cleans: No Idea -just getting started here

2013 Goals:
    Squats: 250 (low, but I've never been great at squats)
    Bench: 275 - 300 (got 300 back in college)
    Deadlift: 400
    OHP: 135
    Power Cleans: No Idea -just getting started here

Training Day #1

April 24, 2013

Body weight: 190 lbs.

Exercise, Weight Reps x Sets

Squat, 120 5 x 3
    Bench, 150 5 x 3
    Deadlift, 215 5 x 1

Assistance work

Chinups (3 sets to failure):
    4 reps
    3 reps
    3 reps

(all weight listed in pounds)
    Last edited by SPE825; 04-26-2013 at 09:32 AM. Reason: *Pullups should have read Chinups there

Default Training Day #2

April 26, 2013

Body weight: 189 lbs. (consuming good calories, but I think extra yardwork is keeping me steady)

Squat, 135 5 x 3 (I think that I was successfully able to move to a true low bar position after watching a few videos, felt a lot better)
    Press, 110 5 x 3 (had to push a little,but still able to knock it out with out too much straining)
    Power Cleans, 85 3 x 5 (didn't put on much weight since this is a first for me really, need to get a form check video up sooner rather than later)

Assistance work

Pullups (3 sets to failure):
    5 reps
    4 reps
    3 reps

Default Training Day #3

April 29, 2013

Body weight: 190 lbs.

Squat, 145 5 x 3 (felt pretty good,bu tstill trying to get used to and focus on the low bar form)

Bench, 160 5 x 3 (felt good, but am also trying to adjust form so that I'm not doing all of the work with triceps due to keeping my elbows too tucked in)

Deadlift, 225 5 x 1 (every time I go up here is a PR since don't really have a DL history, but the weight was still pretty easy)

Assistance work

Chin Ups (3 sets to failure):
    4 reps
    3 reps
    3 reps

We are the same age/wt/height and have started within 1 month of each other. I look forward to reading your log as you go through LP. I come from a running background, and you come from a lifting background so I will be interested in seeing the difference in our progress. Keep at it!

Quote Originally Posted by Runner View Post
    We are the same age/wt/height and have started within 1 month of each other. I look forward to reading your log as you go through LP. I come from a running background, and you come from a lifting background so I will be interested in seeing the difference in our progress. Keep at it!
    Thanks, Runner! I'll keep an eye on your log as well. In terms of high-school and college, I actually come from a swimming background myself. Can't bring myself to get back in the pool though

Default Training Day #4

May 1, 2013

Body weight: 192 lbs.

Squat, 155 5 x 3 (not too hard, starting wearing wrist wraps though as I noticed my wrists hurt a little after moving to a low bar squat this week)
    Press, 115 5 x 3 (learning that proper rest between sets is going to be important in order to progress here)
    Power Cleans, 95 3 x 5 (pretty easy as I learn the movement, but noticed I was hitting my thighs just above the knee as I lowered the bar back to the ground, ouch)

Assistance work

6 reps (was able to eek out one more rep on the first set)
    4 reps
    3 reps

Default Training Day #5

May 3, 2013

Body weight: 192 lbs.

Squat, 165 3 x 5
    Bench Press, 170 3 x 5 (still no problem,I don't anticipate having to try too much until I get around 220)
    Deadlift, 235 1 x 5 (not to difficult, but I just need to pay special attention to form as every lift is basically a PR on this lift for me)

Assistance work

Chinups (3 sets to failure):
    4 reps
    3 reps
    3 reps

Default Training Day #6

May 6, 2013

Body weight: 196 lbs. (gained about 4 pounds in a few days, maybe the creatine addition?)

Squat, 165 3 x 5 (I think I'll be okay to continue progressing by 10 lbs as long as I make sure my form is good, lifting shoes should arrive this week too, interested to see how they help on squats)
    Press, 120 3 x 5 (again,proper rest is my key to progression here - about 3 min, nex Friday's 125lbs will by my PR)
    Power Cleans, 105 5 x 3 (actually a little sore in the traps the day after as I write this, i also need to start stretching my wrists and hands better so that racking the bar doesn't strain them)

Assistance work

6 reps
    4 reps
    3 reps

Default Training Day #7

starting strength coach development program
    May 8, 2013

Body weight: 195 lbs.

Squat, 185 3 x 5 (was a little tough today, going to start incrementing only by 5lbs to continue linear progression)
    Bench Press, 180 3 x 5 (not really sure why I had a tough time with the last couple of reps of the last set, off day I suppose since this is not a lot of weight here for me, might just start 5lbs increments now on the bench)
    Deadlift, 245 1 x 5 (still not to difficult, but I did stop using an alternating grip this time so that I can not have to use it until I have to)

Other: right forearm and elbow is a little painful afterwards,might need to ice a little

Assistance work

5 reps
    3 reps
    3 reps

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast