starting strength gym

Thread: Sysygy SS Log

Default Sysygy SS Log

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Height: 6'0
    Weight: 90kg

Aims just to get as strong as possible at the moment worry about body fat later hoping to get atleast to 100kg. I'll be doing half GOMAD plus at shit ton of food. Basic guidelines are 5 fruit and veg, atleast 2 litres of water, and around 300g of protein a day.

Current Stats:

Squat: 100kg
    Deadlift: 170kg
    Bench press: 75kg
    Standing press: 50kg
    Power Clean: 60kg

Starting with the weight at around 90% as ive had a week off and struggled with 100 kg squats 2 days ago.

12 week aims:

Squat: 140kg
    Deadlift: 210kg
    Bench press: 95kg
    Standing Press: 65kg
    Power clean: 85kg

Big differential between squat and deadlift - are these both 5RM/working sets? Id expect that differential to come down as time goes on.

Also where are you based - considering you used KGs instead of LBs?

Quote Originally Posted by StrongLiftMyBalls View Post
    Big differential between squat and deadlift - are these both 5RM/working sets? Id expect that differential to come down as time goes on.

Also where are you based - considering you used KGs instead of LBs?

I know man i wish it was closer i think im just naturally better at the deadlift. I do really try when it comes to them but i couldnt even imagine doin a 170kg squat even though the 170kg deadlift feels pretty easy. Yeah those are 5rm. Also to be fair ive been doing SS on and off for around 6 month keep getting ill or taking breaks though really hampers my progress and when i get back to it feel like im starting at square one.

And im from Manchester, Just been to London this weekend for a little weekend break, had a good time but wayyyyy to busy for my liking haha

We'll im from London so when you're next down maybe grab a pint.

Sounds like you may have some form issues on the squat then as 100-170 is preetty high a differential. If your lower back and 'core' can handle lifting 170 it should be easily able to handle 130kg squat.

yeah i know im tryna sort it out re-reading the book and proper focusing on getting it right.

Anyway i couldnt wait till Monday to get started so figured i may aswell do a Friday session and glad i did! Decided to start with workout B as id done some low weight bench and deadlift through the week just to get back into things.

Squat: 110kg 5/5/5
    Standing Press: 50kg 5/5/5
    Power Clean: 60kg 3/3/3/3/3

Squats were easier than expected considering i struggled to do 1 just 3 days ago haha so quite pleased with it, Shoved my knees out going down and stuck my chest out going up and i could really feel the benefit. Also started wearing canvas trainers as id previously been lifting in running shoes, i know i know...

Really struggled on the first set of military press back was bending back wayyy more than i would of liked. I had a think about it and figured my grip was a little to far apart and i was right cruised through the next 2 sets, just shows how a little difference of around 5cm makes so much of a difference.

Loved the Power Cleans! First time ive gone over 50 kg as ive been practicing form for weeks and i think its my favourite lift now, love the feeling of catching the bar on your shoulders haha.

Anyway so yeah a good first day!

Squat: 112.5kg 5/5/5
    Bench Press: 75kg 5/5/5
    Deadlift: 180kg 5

felt a little weaker today on the squats probably because id only had a bowl of porridge and a coffee cos its bank holiday here in England and my gym was closing at 2.
    Bench Press felt alright only needed around 2 mins inbetween each set.
    Deadlifts my favourite i always enjoy it, although i have to admit forms not perfect but i figure ill stall once before i fix it as im not feeling any pains.
    nipped to the shop after it and got 2 chicken pasties and 4 pints of milk, around 2500 calories nice!
    Also weighed myself after workout im 91.5kg.

Squat: 115kg 5/5/6..
    Standing Press: 52.5kg 5/5/5
    Power Clean: 65kg 3/3/3/3/3

So yeah squats went really well, felt alot better than last time. I was alternating turns with this other guy and as i get to the 5th rep he goes ONE MORE ONE MORE! so i thought fuck it haha. Cruised through the standing press feel much better with my hands a little closer together than usual on the bar. Power cleans didnt go as expected.. found it fairly easy on friday so thought id add 10lb aside and i struggled badly, i know my forms not too good with this so next time im gunna do around 20 practice reps or something but it needs sorting. What also needs sorting is my diet, done terrible this week.. Just ate whatever i can no rhyme or reason im making a meal plan tomorrow though and buyin the food in sunday so should be sorted with that.

Squat: 117.5kg 5/5/5
    Bench Press: 77.5kg 5/5/5
    Deadlift: 185kg 2..

combination of bad nutrition, lack of sleep and a hard day at work lead to a shite workout.. Really struggled with the squats which is starting to piss me off growing to hate them but must persevere! bench press went standard no problems there. Last warm up on deadlift was 2 at 130kg and i struggled with that so could tell it wasnt going to go well. Hopefully next week when the diets sorted ill get better, gunna properly do GOMAD now!

starting strength coach development program
    Squat: 120kg 5/5/5
    Standing Press: 55kg 5/5/5
    Power Clean: 67.5kg 3/3/3/3/3

Squats went really well! Proper focused and nailed the sets, just need to do that everytime and not be complacent...
    Standing Press went alright ill be satisfied if i can get to 60 kg been an aim for quite some time now.
    Power Cleans were very poor form.. Fridays workout i'm gunna practice form for around an hour before i do the sets to get it perfect then maybe deload a little but i cant keep progressing with that shoddy form. Read SS powerclean and a few articles online and hopefully i should be sorted. Cant wait to get a coach in September when i move.
    Nutritions been good today ive kept it to 5 meals and a glass of milk with them. Weight: 92.5kg