starting strength gym

Thread: Snatch form check

Default Snatch form check

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    https://youtu.be/XizDdmEFuNE
    I am trying to extend my hips more before I jump under the bar, but somehow I don’t seem able to do it.
    Comments welcome. Thank you.

Hello,

nice to see a snatch video in this section, they are so rare.
    To be honest, I don't think there is much wrong with your hip action, you seem to get a nice, full, straight extension.
    You could do maybe with using a little (very little) bit more shrug on the shoulders, and thinking about pulling your elbows back a little (little) more, to better bring the bar over your head and not lose it forward.

I also note that when the bar goes past the knees, your shoulders are already level, if not behind, the bar. I think it might be preferable to keep them ahead of the bar a little longer, it should make your second pull and explosion even better (not that there is much wrong with it).

Apart from that, I think you are doing fairly well.

A question for you, if I may: is that your home gym? and what are those panels you have on the wall? they look like noise-reducing material. Very tidy and neat setup anyhow.

IPB

These look pretty good, in the context of this Form-Check-Forum.
    I am no expert . . .maybe post in the SSC forum to have a SSC study it.
    Maybe some early arm bend, but barely so.

Slo-Mo is real nice of course. Maybe one full speed video would help judge timing/rhythm.
    The weight looks sort-of light for you, so this, coupled w/ the slo-mo video . . . .somethings "off" but I can't quite put my finger on it.

I realize you didn't ask out this: but it appears the bar is forward on the initial set-up . . . .and yet, the bar moves forward once it leaves the ground to get around your knees.
    Others might say your hips are too low causing your knees to be too far forward. . . .but I'm no expert.
    A couple of reps it appears you are catching "it forward", but you adjust to save it. This might be a problem with more weight.
    You jump back a little in some of the catches . . . so its hard to say.

And, how tall are you? your grip seems a little narrow . . . maybe?
    Last edited by MBasic; 04-29-2015 at 09:11 AM.

How much weight is that? 80kg?
    And how much do you weigh?.
    Last edited by MBasic; 04-29-2015 at 09:18 AM. Reason: double post . . .why does it do this???

Biggest problem first:

That bar is way, way, WAY forward. As IPB noted above, your shoulders are already behind the bar at this point... But that's mainly because the bar is so far forward (partially as a result of your start position, and partially because you're just not pulling it in). If the bar was right up against your leg in that screenshot, you'd actually be in a decent position. Pull it in closer!
    Last edited by Austin Baraki; 04-29-2015 at 09:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by IlPrincipeBrutto View Post
    A question for you, if I may: is that your home gym? and what are those panels you have on the wall? they look like noise-reducing material. Very tidy and neat setup anyhow.
    It is a squash court in the golf club I am working in. But who plays squash nowadays? The noice-reducing walls are necessary, because I also use the room to produce golf videos.
    Picture: http://heuler.de/bilder/squash1.jpg
    I even produce some videos in English. Here is a link just in case a golfer got lost in this forum: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...5dzRZyr7dSYjnx

A polo player shooting golf videos in a disused squash court, now that's an interesting one-handed sporting combination.
    Another question for you: do you think that strength training is beneficial for golf?
    I am not a golf player, I am just curious, because I don't think there is much data about the transfer between a good squat (or snatch) and a long drive.

IPB

Quote Originally Posted by IlPrincipeBrutto View Post
    A polo player shooting golf videos in a disused squash court, now that's an interesting one-handed sporting combination.
    Another question for you: do you think that strength training is beneficial for golf?
    I am not a golf player, I am just curious, because I don't think there is much data about the transfer between a good squat (or snatch) and a long drive.
    I am not a polo player. That is just my nick name. Barbell training is extremely beneficial for golf. To hit the ball far you need power. I am hitting the ball up to 40 yards further since I started with barbells (I gained 20 pounds). Learning how to snatch or c&j also improves the coordination and that too helps. Tiger Woods didn't gain his muscles by doing yoga. I have a few apprentices who started lifting weights and they gain additional weight even faster because of their age (I am already 48). I switched to a ketogenic diet three month ago though and now I am curious how much more muscle mass I can gain.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by poloplayer View Post
    I am not a polo player. That is just my nick name.
    I've got a secret to tell you: I am not a prince either.

:-)

Thanks for the insight about the transfer from weight training to golf, it's always interesting to hear someone's first-hand experience in a field where I think there is a lot of hearsay but not much data.

IPB