starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Depth - Go ahead....rip my apart.....

Default Squat Depth - Go ahead....rip my apart.....

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Squats have been progressing nicely and I have fixed some issues with my bar placement & arms. I'm going deeper than I used to, but I know I am still high. This was my last (3rd) workset from today.

Key stats:
    5'6", 181 LB. Been on program officially for 1 month. Working with an SSC (once every few weeks). Did some lifting on my own prior to starting the program...albeit with horrible form.

Warm ups: 45x15x2 (to get loose), 95x5, 135x3, 165x2, 185x1. worksets: 210x5x3

Question for the coaches (or anyone else informed on good technique):
    1) How much deeper should I be going
    2) any other glaring issues you can see?
    3) If I was your client...would you have me move up to 215 next workout or would you have me stick here to get deeper?

Link to squat: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRcS2bLOqWk
    Last edited by Randy Scheingold; 06-18-2015 at 04:59 PM.

1) You're close, an inch deeper would probably be good (especially on the last few reps).
    2) You actually did 6 reps, your head/eyes don't stay down, and you're wearing gloves.
    3) Yes I'd probably have you move up.

Thanks. Glad it wasn't as bad as I thought. Just curious, what's the impact of the gloves? Or do they just make me look like a poser?!

I don't know anything about gloves. Maybe it does make you look like a poser.

Your depth is close. One question, 45 X 5 X 2 if done to loosen you up you must feel like an overdone noodle. That's a whopping number of warm ups.

1. Definitely get another inch deeper, later reps were higher than your earlier ones. Are you lifting solo?
    2. Keep your chin down and your chest up. If you can, place a water bottle or something a few feet in front of you to fix your sight on to keep your head down.
    3. I'd move you up to 215 and keep yelling at you to get deeper.