starting strength gym
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sully: Strength and Endurance

Default Sully: Strength and Endurance

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    • starting strength seminar april 2025

Very well put together, thanks for uploading.

Hey Sully! Great Vid. I enjoyed it very much. Especially so as a Marathoner (dumb ass addicted runner, I know) who dabbles in a strength LP now and then. I always enjoy reading this type of information to compare to my own successes and failures in the past with training and exercise. I found it interesting around the 23rd minute where you mention Hawley, 2009 with the increase of Mitochondria 50-100% in 6 weeks, and also the 1/2 life values decreasing so quickly. I had always known it didn't take to long to lose it but I never realized on paper it could be that quick.

So many believe Cardio to be the base for all things ( myself included for years) but in listening and doing some extra research as well as my own personal experience it does appear that Cardio is the quickest to gain and even quicker to lose where as strength takes more time however it remains so much longer.

I have found that if I miss running for a few weeks like I have recently for tendonitis, when I finally get back it sucks the first few times and I am pretty slow (always slow at 46 and 260lb).
    On the flip side I do notice that if I just felt like going down stairs and had to pull 405 from the floor I could do it.

I think my question is if someone does build an aerobic base and then slowly converts to strength with some HIIT will they be able to retain some of that Mitochondria? I actually have quite a few questions but I am unsure how to ask them.

Either way great job and I look forward to part 2.

Sparky

so we have some ideas about "What Is Strong." We can argue about it , but we do have some ideas (for a 6ft tall 220lb 30yr male 300 dead isn't that good and 500 is decent, or something.)

I would love to have some objective numbers for conditioning, cardio health: V02 max, 1 mile run time, 5 mile run time, whatever. Im sure I'll get beat up for this, but my point remains, there are *some* objective standards for strength, what would we think they are for conditioning? Not only do i wanna pull 500 and squat 400 at 50yrs old, but I also want to be on the + side of conditioning.

Quote Originally Posted by muntz View Post
    so we have some ideas about "What Is Strong." We can argue about it , but we do have some ideas (for a 6ft tall 220lb 30yr male 300 dead isn't that good and 500 is decent, or something.)

I would love to have some objective numbers for conditioning, cardio health: V02 max, 1 mile run time, 5 mile run time, whatever. Im sure I'll get beat up for this, but my point remains, there are *some* objective standards for strength, what would we think they are for conditioning? Not only do i wanna pull 500 and squat 400 at 50yrs old, but I also want to be on the + side of conditioning.
    I dunno. But I do know that I disassembled and moved my entire fucking gym yesterday, which included carrying heavy racks, bars, and plates down four flights of stairs and up into a truck with my intern, Frank, and a few other very dedicated clients. We then unloaded that truck full of heavy shit and reassembled our gym in the new facility. In one day, in two 4-hour stretches of continuous physical effort. The phrase work capacity kept springing to mind.

We didn't die. We didn't get hurt. We got a little winded after a few hours of moving shit down the stairs. We needed a really big lunch. We woke up a little sore today, and went and bought and loaded and unloaded a bunch of plywood. I christened our new Prowler track before I locked up the new gym for the night. And still didn't die.

We're in our late fifties, and it just wasn't a big deal. We could have gone harder for longer*. Frank kept joking that it was, after all, his Recovery Day, and my Light Day.

So I don't know my VO2max or my 5-mile run time, but I think I met and even exceeded the not-inconsequential physical demands of my life and environment, which if memory serves is the definition of "fitness." I feel like whatever I'm doing, it works. YMMV.

*That's what she said.

I am HUGE admirer of the work you do but there are ton of guys out there in trades etc that put in much rougher days, every day. They don't even know what the lifts are and probably need them as bad as anyone else but their capacity to work is literally mind numbing. By your explanation they meet the needs and the physical demands of their life so why should they train? I

Warren, I think Dr. Sullivan's point is that he doesn't work in the trades. He just trains. And he has sufficient work capacity to put in a rough day even though he doesn't make a living with his back and his hands. I think Dr. Sullivan will tell you that guys in the trades should train so that they have enough gas left at the end of the day to do more than just try to recover for the next one, and so that they don't hurt themselves as they get older in the trades as their strength levels decrease and the job stays just as hard.

Right, Sully was reflecting on his activities that are out of the norm for him. I took it out of context. I couldn't agree more that all people should train.

Warren

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Warren, I think Dr. Sullivan's point is that he doesn't work in the trades. He just trains. And he has sufficient work capacity to put in a rough day even though he doesn't make a living with his back and his hands. I think Dr. Sullivan will tell you that guys in the trades should train so that they have enough gas left at the end of the day to do more than just try to recover for the next one, and so that they don't hurt themselves as they get older in the trades as their strength levels decrease and the job stays just as hard.
    Yes, that's what I would say, but I would always use more words to say it. It's a character flaw.

starting strength coach development program
    "Work capacity" might be thought of as "amount of work accomplished in a period of time" ....that is defined as "power".
    Cyclists (and apparently rowers) are very interested in power and have very accurate instruments for measuring it.

In things like lifting weights, the calculation would become much more inconvenient and messy, but it would still be possible to calculate power for a sufficiently motivated researcher:

Power = (Force * distance)/time So if you are lifting weights against gravity the force is the weight.

Let's say you lift 300 lbs a distance of 30 inches and do 10 reps in 30 seconds:
    If I did the conversions to metric units correctly, that would be an average of 34 Watts.

If you did it in 10 seconds, it is 102 Watts, etc.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast