starting strength gym

Thread: Archives Article: Rob Miller SSC: The Map of Athletic Performance

Default Archives Article: Rob Miller SSC: The Map of Athletic Performance

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    The Map of Athletic Performance | Rob Miller

An important article that hasn't gotten enough attention.

What a smart article. I’ve read it several times. As with anything deep each reading yield more insights. I wish Rob hadn’t moved to AZ. I miss his humor and keen eye as a coach. Happy climbing, Rob!

Thanks for re-posting this gem. I remember reading this several years ago and thinking, "That was a really good article." After several years of self-study and continued lifting, I'm now realizing just how much I missed in my initial read-through. There is a WEALTH of information packed into here...I'm kicking myself a little bit for not studying this article more seriously.

I highly encourage others to set aside 30-40 minutes to read through Rob's piece. Regardless of your familiarity with the SS model, I guarantee that you'll benefit from Rob's repackaging of the fundamentals. I will admit, though, that my (formerly avid) climbing background is certainly biased in that assessment. I found the below statement particularly powerful this time around:

"Increasing one’s capacity for energy output is pursuant of a due-north trajectory. This is the barbell’s domain. Encompassed here is more potential for consistent training carryover than any other direction on the Map. In the broadest sense, the barbell is similar to how bouldering works for endurance climbing – the higher-intensity adaptation benefits the less-intense application. From wherever you currently stand, improving your capacity for energy output – strength and power – will increase performance in all trajectories on the Map."

Anyway, thanks again for re-posting the article. Rob, if you end up reading this, thanks for the time and effort that clearly went into this. As an aside, I have family in Boulder Creek and used to climb at Castle Rock (I still do martial arts in Boulder Creek), so it was nice seeing the reference to the redwoods. I hope you're still enjoying the mountains!

Thanks,
    Matt