starting strength gym

Thread: Prowler 2

Default Prowler 2

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Hi all,

I apologize if this has been covered before, but I couldn't find it after a few key word searches.

My gym now has a prowler 2 which I have trained with before and love it (and hate it) for conditioning.

In trying to ensure my weights are as exact as possible, I am trying to determine the weight of the Prowler 2 WITH INDOOR SKIDS on and NOT STEEL.

The website offers that the thing weighs about 87 pounds, but no mentioned is made of the weight with the different "footwear" on it.

The gym has no scale and neither do I, so I figured I'd ask here before I shelled out loot for a scale just to weigh a Prowler!

Thanks!

Sorry, homie. I'm a busy guy. Besides, I prefer to read the threads and only ask questions when I need something I can't find.

Since it sounds like you'll always be using the same prowler, just count the weight you put on it. The empty prowler is "zero."

That's how I'm recording wods now with the thing, but I just want to be more accurate. Plus, it's helpful when I'm trying to do some workouts that call for certain percentages of bodyweight, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by hsilman View Post
    this is what you used your 8th post in 18 months for?

shame.
    He was thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by krazyduck View Post
    He was thinking.
    Always!

The force needed to move the prowler will vary both with weight and surface friction. Surface friction will vary as the indoor carpet wears smoother over time, and will vary with speed as well.

I think you are doomed to approximate here, unless you shell out for some serious instrumentation and data-logging equipment. As a measurement nerd, I think you should go for it.

What CWD said. The friction on the ground probably is a bigger factor than the with or without 2#+\- depending on the material of the skids... I can tell one side of my street pushes much easier than the other in both directions. No one parks on the far side so less oil/grease I'm guessing...also and the skis break in and develop a wear pattern...it's all gonna change over time to a small degree. The plates or weights your gym uses could vary a pound or two also...it's all not worth fretting about

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks guys.

Agreed on surface friction variation. I'm pushing the Prowler on its plastic skids on rubber stall mats inside the gym, so it's pretty difficult actually. I recall it being a bit easier on concrete/pavement even though it's been awhile since I've used this torture device. Too much snow/ice/foot traffic outside to even attempt using this on the sidewalks right now though.