starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Year Report

Default New Year Report

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hi Coach, thanks so much for all your guidance. I’ve had a fairly productive and interesting experience with Starting Strength and barbell training over the last 2 ½ years that I am sharing here in the spirit of New Years. My numbers are still too low and I’ve progressed too slowly; but, I’ve taken a lot from this website and am compelled to give back as I can. I’m in my mid-40s and started out as a physical wreck without any realistic ambition to be athletic. I’m fairly able-bodied today and am active again in judo. I feel great. Oddly, I am almost certainly more injury resistant than I was 20 years ago when I trained under a different paradigm. Being in my 40s has been an interesting part of the journey so maybe this will be of interest to others too.

My numbers starting 2 ½ years ago to present are (in lbs):
    height: 5’11” bodyweight: 200 to 210
    squat: 115 x 5 to 315 x1; press: 75 x 5 to 155 x 2; deadlift: 135 x 5 to 390 x 1; bench: 105 x 5 to 200 x 2; pull/chin-ups: 0 to 3 sets of 8

Observations/lessons learned:

- Stubbornness to the point of YNDTP slows down progress – particularly the diet and cardio suggestions. I wasted a lot of time that way.
    - Best progress occurred when I added weight to the bar more slowly, and reset more often, than prescribed in the book for younger athletes.
    - I waited too long to buy shoes and a belt. The stability afforded by both is very helpful on a physical and psychological level.
    - I transitioned to 5/3/1 programming after almost 2 years of Starting Strength which may have been a bit too soon from a development stand-point but seems good for incorporating other sports – also, it’s a lot of fun to do singles.
    - A few private lessons were an important part of developing good technique. There isn’t a substitute for the eye of an experienced coach.
    - Going through the full range of motion on every lift, including pull-ups, is critical to maximize progress.
    - calculating 1RM doesn't work for me. I need to lift it to know.
    - A.R.T. was a key for breaking though a hard squat plateau I was dealing with.
    - Warming up sufficiently without overdoing it is an ongoing search. I’ve been experimenting by adding “mobility” drills and foam rolling with some success.
    - Some of the most helpful posts here are the analyses of novice videos.
    - Sully’s posts rock.
    - I’ve been fascinated by how much of strength is in the nervous system and breath.
    - Powerlifting has a great culture (often my favorite part of this website). I notice that the true lifters are warm and encouraging to anyone who squats below parallel – regardless of how little weight is on the bar. Bodybuilders tend to be dickheads that can blight an otherwise good gym.
    - Attending a meet as a spectator was good for many months worth of motivation – I need to compete one day.
    - Lifting with good technique and smart programming is seriously fun.

Nice job.

Start a log. Us other old farts around here might find it an interesting read from another geezling. We'll shove over so you can find a place on a bench next the hearth. Hell, maybe we can actually provide some useful advice along the way.

I am 39 going on 40. I am not a novice lifter as I have been "weight training", for lack of a better word, for several years. However, I have done so fairly causually without much direction or "program" which my lack of strength will confirm. I have made up my mind to be much more goal oriented and program minded with great attention to correct form following the techniques described in Starting Strength. What advice or input can anyone and especially Couch provide regarding training differences for someone in there 40's, or even 50's or 60's for that matter, that is different from what one should do as a young kid in their teens or 20's. What differences, if any, should one follow regarding work-out frequency per week, volume (# of sets&reps), duration of each work out, rest beaks between sets, etc. for someone training in there 40's, 50's or 60's who is otherwise healthy without any specific medical concerns compared to the "young athlete"? Thanks in advance!

Great progress.
    Is there a specific board where we can post progress for vanity reasons, or is that OK in the Rippetoe Board ( I ask for myself, not because I am accusing OP of doing this)?

Very encouraging to us newbies, Steve, and some good pointers for us old guys too. Thanks for the report!

Quote Originally Posted by SOONERFAN View Post
    I am 39 going on 40. I am not a novice lifter as I have been "weight training", for lack of a better word, for several years. However, I have done so fairly causually without much direction or "program" which my lack of strength will confirm. I have made up my mind to be much more goal oriented and program minded with great attention to correct form following the techniques described in Starting Strength. What advice or input can anyone and especially Couch provide regarding training differences for someone in there 40's, or even 50's or 60's for that matter, that is different from what one should do as a young kid in their teens or 20's. What differences, if any, should one follow regarding work-out frequency per week, volume (# of sets&reps), duration of each work out, rest beaks between sets, etc. for someone training in there 40's, 50's or 60's who is otherwise healthy without any specific medical concerns compared to the "young athlete"? Thanks in advance!
    Fixing on a goal orientation is the first fundamental head change anyone and everyone needs to make. Not just for lifting but for anything you undertake in life, be it for personal reasons or business reasons. Seeing as how you're a geezling in waiting, you probably already know that. But it's worth repeating and reinforcing. I know for damn sure it didn't take with me the first few times.

As for what us older folks can expect? Slower progress and perhaps in smaller increments. The same is sometimes true for frequency and and volume. Rest between sets is pretty constant at at any age. Some people do fine or even better on twice a week. I even did routines where I worked out 3 times every 2 weeks and made gains. Not big gains or fast gains, but gains nonetheless.

The best advice I can give you is to start a log and dive in at 3 times a week doing the program as Rip recommends. Ask for advice or be prepared to follow it as you encounter and (hopefully) describe any problems or setbacks. There is a thriving community of geezers here who check up on each other and are happy to help another one of us along on their long march.

Quote Originally Posted by par2941 View Post
    Great progress.
    Is there a specific board where we can post progress for vanity reasons, or is that OK in the Rippetoe Board ( I ask for myself, not because I am accusing OP of doing this)?
    Sure. Post all you want in the Training Log section.

Good stuff, here. That is why my favorite Doc always tells me age is not a factor when it comes to weight training like other sports. He swears we can get stronger for as long as we have the mental tenacity to work hard enough.

Everyone should have log here. It keeps us honest and gives us a 'little more' when we are training. More than once I've thought to myself as I was preparing for a set or rep, I can't let the folks at SS down. I have to get this.

starting strength coach development program
    Great work, Steve. I agree with Mark that you should start a log on the forum. Hope to hear more about your progress.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast