starting strength gym

Thread: Working around/fixing not symmetrical back pain and sciatic, issues with deadlift

Angry Working around/fixing not symmetrical back pain and sciatic, issues with deadlift

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Dear Rip,

Injury Question answers:

- Age: 30, Gender: Male, current training status: intermediate

Chief Complaint: Sciatic and low back/gluten pain, only on left side. Sometimes I have had stiffness (left side) in the morning.

- Narrative describing the mechanism of injury: Fucked up back while squatting last year. Went to chiro that fixed the back, re strained the back a couple of months later --> sciatic (only felt in feet, nothing in hamstring or gluteus) Chiro told me I had an irritated nerve/bulging disc, that had compressed my nerve. "Fixed my back".

Took vacation for a month --> back became worse, also started to have SI-joint issues and groin pain. Went to chrio after vacation. Had 2 "sessions" with him, became worse. Did no longer trust the chiro so changed to another.

That one told me that the reasons for my back issues were overused/exhausted quads combined with tight psoas pulling my pelvic out of place. According to her I had not a herniated or bulging disc

Had five sessions with her, became better.

After that I slowly started to increase my dl (done sumo style) and went up to doing sets of triples of 150kg. My left side started to feel bad again and the sciatic in my foot became worse.

After that I dropped the dl for a while and had some rest

Current status:

- Pain 3-4
    - Describe the pain: aching
    - What makes it better?
    Prone cobras, lumbar extensions, trigger point work on quads and gluteus and foremost trigger point work on psoas, spinal decompression.

- What makes it worse: Standing or lying on the floor and lifting the left leg (knee straight?)

How do your symptoms behave throughout the day, was worse in the morning, now the same.

Signs and Symptoms (describe what the area looks like: nothing visible). Main complaint is left side stifness and sometims aching in left low back. Hyper extending my back when standing does not hurt, bending forward with straight legs does not hurt. Bending side to side does not hurt, but like I mentioned, lifting my left leg straight generates pain in left lower back, this same pain I can feel after or during a deadlift(I do conventional now at shitty 70kg, BW:90kg, can also feel the same "pain" if I do sumo deadlift). Squats does not generated pain or stiffness, nor do power cleans nor overhead press.

I can also feel pain from snatching that is if I do a power snatch and then descend into a full snatch (like a slow overhead squat) my left back sends out pain after the lift.
    Besides this I have not done an MRI.

My question is simple; do I threat this like any other type of back issue (high volume dl with shitty weights combined with spinal decompression.) Or should I replace the dl with something like, halting deadlifts and rack pulls.

I know that you would like to see a video of my dl form; I don't have that at the moment but will upload it ASAP.

Thank you for your time.

Best regards
    Daniel

Nobody can tell if you have a compressed / bulging disc just by looking at you and listening to you describe your symptoms. You need an actual diagnostic test, like an MRI. If you didn't get one, then neither one of the chiropractors knew what the fuck they were talking about. Which would not be a surprise.

There are probably 20 different reasons that you might experience sciatica-type pain (compressed disc, central canal narrowing, a cyst on a nerve root, etc.) and all of them require different treatments in order to maximize recovery and prevent further injury.

Get a proper diagnosis before attempting anything else.