starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: is it good idea to move from 1x5 in DL to 5x1?

Default is it good idea to move from 1x5 in DL to 5x1?

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    i have think on switching to 5 singles in dl instead of one set of 5.
    i cant think of any downside to this - someone have an idea regards that?

I'm not answering the question with this post but you can't think of any downsides? Surely if singles were the same as a set you would see singles in the main programme?

Think of it in extreme terms: if you did 1 squat today, 1 tomorrow, 1 the next day, etc. and it took you 5 days to get your 'set' would it be the same as 1x5? I'm guessing the potential problem would be not causing enough stress with singles. But i've not tried them so take it for what it's worth

It's not a bad idea. In fact, if you look in KSC's forum, he kind of lays out a plan just like that. You start with 1x5 and then taper down to 3's, 2's, and eventually singles. He has you start with 5 singles, and then you move it down to eventually 1. I tried 5 singles and I thought it was a little too much. But it really depends what percentage of your real max you start at.

i've notice in the last few sessions that my first rep is much better then the fifth.
    although this is obvious it got me thinking into this.

what i thought is its the same tonnage and that the stress, although its not identical, is pretty similar.

down to 3/2/1 single(s) is not the plan.

Why are you thinking of switching to 5 singles? It's a valid method, but you just want to make sure you doing it at the right stage of the game (i.e. you can't push 1x5 up any further).

Default is it good idea to move from 1x5 in DL to 5x1?

If you problems doing 5 in a row but aren't disturbed because of the weight it's probably your form and how you are resetting the bar. This is a big problem for me.

you can see the difference between the first rep speed(and form breakdown) to the last. this change to 5x1 can help in this areas. plus progress in 1x5 always been too slow.

When I first started lifting, I did the Hepburn program. It was basically singles, 4-8 sets. That worked for a while, as I am sure the 5 singles will too. It won't work forever though.

The desire to move to five distinct singles suggests you are working at a too high intensity. This is good for burning out and not so good for continual progress.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Dastardly View Post
    The desire to move to five distinct singles suggests you are working at a too high intensity. This is good for burning out and not so good for continual progress.
    No. 5 singles can be a very good strategy, but again it will not work forever. Just like doing 1 set of 5 will not work forever. Nothing works forever, so find something that works for YOU and do it until it stops working. Then find something else that works for a bit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast