starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beaten Nervous System?

Default Beaten Nervous System?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hi it has been almost 3 months since i started SS. Two weeks left to finish SS.
    Before SS i did insanity, P90x etc... (became so sad after i read Rip's articles. i wish i could start SS early)

I'm 23 years old. 6'3 tall and 231 pounds. i was 198 pounds before i started SS. Did not do GOMAD.

Squat: 275 pounds
    Bench: 171
    Press: 110
    Deadlift: 308
    Power Clean: 103 ( started PC 2 weeks ago)

I have been stalling on press and bench for weeks. Did reset once on both of them. But, altough i resetted when i came back to stalled number again i stalled again and again.

I not only increase squat weight at the moment but also cant do 5 reps on 275.
    except deadlift everything feels like a ton now. I cant do even 1 good rep on squat. for press and bench reps are the same. They are like 2 1 1. I cant complete 5 5 5.

last week i just left all assistance exercises to let my shoulders heal (even chinups) but still feel pain in my shoulders and dont have the old good ambitious anymore for increasing the weight just because i cant do even 3 reps on presses at the moment.

So my question is
    What can it be?
    may be i had beaten my nervous system with this linear progression?
    Did i complete my novice gains?
    Should i rest a week? ( I don't mean leaving gym or something. It's just like Rip stated in his book ''practical programming'' doing warm up sets and leaving gym.)

Did i entered intermediate world? ( silly question sorry. I still feel so weak and so newbie and i know that these weight numbers are so low for my height and weight)

Thanks a lot for helping.

Should i rest a week? ( I don't mean leaving gym or something. It's just like Rip stated in his book ''practical programming'' doing warm up sets and leaving gym.)
    Try this and a deload. It is possible that you have exhausted novice gains, but due to your size I would expect more. Do you feel like you are eating enough? Not saying you need to pig out and fatten up, but just enough energy for training & recovery?

Are you able to make a video of your press form?

What have your resets been? (i.e. 10%, 20%?)

Quote Originally Posted by Dastardly View Post
    Try this and a deload. It is possible that you have exhausted novice gains, but due to your size I would expect more. Do you feel like you are eating enough? Not saying you need to pig out and fatten up, but just enough energy for training & recovery?
    Yes getting weight is very easy for me as i did low calorie diet for a long time for fat burning purpose. So i eat a lot good stuff. Eat almost over 420 gr carb everyday
    Quote Originally Posted by PFerrari View Post
    What have your resets been? (i.e. 10%, 20%?)
    %10

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Rogers View Post
    Are you able to make a video of your press form?
    Yes tomorrow im gonna press and record it

First do an honest self assessment if you are eating enough, sleeping enough, recovering enough, etc. Really be honest and see if you can improve any of those things. Maybe adjusting the timing of your food can help to have some more carbs right around workout time. If you are pretty good in all those departments, I'd say do the following: form check, then deload and move on to intermediate programming. People get too worried sometimes about getting an extra 20 lbs out of SS instead of just moving on and pushing the weights higher. If you feel like intermediate programming would be better for motivation, etc. just move on. Take a deload when you start intermediate programming though because it sounds like you're a bit fried.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerzul View Post
    last week i just left all assistance exercises to let my shoulders heal (even chinups) but still feel pain in m.
    if you are doing assistance work with SS. That is likely the source of your press and bench stall.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerzul View Post
    Two weeks left to finish SS..
    you don't understand

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiburon View Post
    you don't understand
    How did I miss that!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast