starting strength gym

Thread: Hands and fingers during a squat USAPL

Default Hands and fingers during a squat USAPL

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Coaches, any new knowledge about USAPL rules regarding hands and fingers during a squat?

This was on the forum 4-5 years ago. Tom, you were planning on discussing this with the rules committee.

I've grown very fond of the thumb over the bar grip taught here. I've also had refs red light me for having my fingers above the bar.

Any advice how to be in compliance without major adjustment? I'm an old dog, not fond of new tricks.

Quote Originally Posted by Bcharles123 View Post
    Coaches, any new knowledge about USAPL rules regarding hands and fingers during a squat?
    I got nothing.

Tom, you were planning on discussing this with the rules committee.
    Yep. I reluctantly booked my flight a day earlier than I wanted to go to the meeting. I will let you know how I do.

I've grown very fond of the thumb over the bar grip taught here. I've also had refs red light me for having my fingers above the bar.
    Yep. I have had trainees red lighted from the center judge for the same. However, it is inconsistently enforced and the rule is unclearly written and arguably unnecessary.

Any advice how to be in compliance without major adjustment? I'm an old dog, not fond of new tricks.
    I would squat as normal. There's a good chance you won't get called for it. Maybe I will get lucky and they will make changes based on the arguments I make to them. Do not hold your breath, however.

Before the meet you could always show the judges your grip and make sure they will pass it.

Thanks coach. Standing by.

Quote Originally Posted by melody View Post
    Before the meet you could always show the judges your grip and make sure they will pass it.
    I would not call attention to it. The USAPL judges do not agree on this and apparently had a long discussion over a private Facebook group about what is allowable. We are left with an unclear rule that is interpreted differently meet to meet and even judge to judge within a meet.

starting strength coach development program
    I have never been called on it.
    Just make sure you don't have a habit of lifting any fingers off the bar that would call attention to it.