starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mad golfer's elbow

Default Mad golfer's elbow

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    The inside of my elbows kill after squatting now and it has resulted in very poor Bench and Overhead Press's for the past 4-5 weeks. My squat is supposed to be 300 tonight, and my Press is at 110, however I already know I will not be able to do the Press after.. What to do? Buying anything is not option for tonight, but I can later. I almost want to go easy with my squats just so I can get a good upper body workout tonight, what do you think?

Switch to high bar until your elbows heal. Better then taking it easy and letting your squat strength go down.

What do I need to know about high bar?

I just had this same problem last month and it started when I was squatting around 315. I didnt stop squatting low bar i just took some ibuprofen (which didnt really help me) and made DAMN SURE that my elbows were not dropping during my squats and that i wasnt pulling on the bar with my hand or pushing it up. It was a friday workout and i had just finished squatting and had the most painful headache/migraine feelings in my elbows my damn hands were shaking. On mondays workout i made my 5 pound jump made sure i kept my damn elbows up and i havent had pain since.

Quote Originally Posted by seelnips View Post
    What do I need to know about high bar?
    Nope, not much. Cues are mostly the same except look ahead instead of down.

Also keep your wrists straight. If you are supportig the bar with your hands / arms when it is in the low bar position it will cause this problem. I had terrible elbow pain until I fixed this.

Quote Originally Posted by DTF View Post
    Also keep your wrists straight. If you are supportig the bar with your hands / arms when it is in the low bar position it will cause this problem. I had terrible elbow pain until I fixed this.
    I honestly focus on this every time, but as soon as I am on my work sets they bend back no matter what from the weight.

Here's what worked for me - I stopped holding the bar across the center of my palms and actually position it more on the heels of my hands. That then caused me to lift my elbows because I was afraid the bar would slip down my back if I didn't. The net result was high elbows, straight wrists, and eventually elbows that didn't hurt anymore. After a few weeks I became confident in the grip and bar position and I honestly don't even think about it anymore. It just happens on its own.

What else re you doing? Chins? Power cleans?

It's quite possible this isn't caused by your squats.

starting strength coach development program
    I learned today that with a chrome plated bar I have to use my hands to intercept more of the weight than a bare steel bar.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast