starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ernie and Billy go to the Olympics -- 1968-Style

Default Ernie and Billy go to the Olympics -- 1968-Style

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024

It should be "Jaakko... ...Kailajärvi" on page 2, 2nd paragraph.

Quote Originally Posted by TinyArnold View Post
    It should be "Jaakko... ...Kailajärvi" on page 2, 2nd paragraph.
    Yep

I also had a pretty good chuckle when I was reading Gallaghers book and he spelled "Kyösti" as "Koryosti" or something like that.

Wow, fantastic story, although sad for the lifters who got done over by bad judging and politics.

Fair's and Starr's articles give tremendous insight into why the press had to go as a competitive lift. It almost sounds as if guys were being called for a press out on a press! It was all very shameful really. It is a good article and thank you for providing it to an audience that appreciates it.

Really seems like starr lived one hell of a life. I can't believe someone hasn't done his biography...at least I couldn't find one on the googles. I would pay to read it, that's for sure.

Not that it matters much, but the name of the venue was "Insurgentes Theater", not Insurentes. (Yep, insurgentes means "insurgents", in this case it refers to those who rebelled against Spanish rule in 1810).

Great to read about Louis Martin. My Dad trained alongside him, in his gym here in Derby. My Dad said he was simply unbelievably strong, generous and helpful.

Also, I'd like to point out that I knew NOTHING of this until I was 33 years old and was just getting in to Starting Strength. My Dad trained alongside an Olympic weightlifter, a world champion no less, and didn't bother to bring it up. My Dad knew how to do the lifts, but just decided it wasn't worth me knowing about that kind of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Longley View Post
    Also, I'd like to point out that I knew NOTHING of this until I was 33 years old and was just getting in to Starting Strength. My Dad trained alongside an Olympic weightlifter, a world champion no less, and didn't bother to bring it up. My Dad knew how to do the lifts, but just decided it wasn't worth me knowing about that kind of thing.
    Mine did the same to me. He was in England during WWII and trained with an Englishman who did strongman stuff and barbell training. He NEVER mentioned it before he died, and I found out about it from a letter these people had mailed to his sister that was in a pile of mail I got from her after he died. The letter said he was pretty good, but he watched me do this shit until 2002 and never said a word. Irritating.

starting strength coach development program
    Could you tell us what Starr's height was? I believe he lifted in several weight classes, would be interested to know how tall/short he was.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast