starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lifting weights that are too heavy

Default Lifting weights that are too heavy

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Here is an article that states that some of the injuries caused in Australian Gyms was due to lifting weights that were too heavy. I would have said that is was due to a lack of strength training and qualified instructors that caused the injuries, the weight in itself does not injure anybody, it is only due to a lack of strength to lift that load.

Perhaps you may like to forward a submission to the Monash Injury Research Institute on injury prevention.

http://www.smh.com.au/lifestyle/diet...405-365r9.html

Some of the funny parts:

Known as the Australian adult pre-exercise screening system, the voluntary guidelines include assessing a gym member's risk of cardiovascular disease, metabolic or respiratory illness, and getting clearance from a health professional.
    You are supposed to ask somebody if it's okay to get up off of your Australian ass.

''If you go to a gym where the people don't know about the guidelines, you're not going to get assessed before you start to exercise and they're not going to tell you what's safe for you,'' Professor Finch said. ''Failing to follow these guidelines puts people at risk.''
    Heavens!

Professor Finch said of more than 1100 people surveyed, 44 per cent said weights were often not put away, making them a hazard for gym users. Half the respondents reported gym members lifting weights that were too heavy for them.
    So half of the people they surveyed were of the opinion that other people were lifting weights that were "too heavy." Cutting-edge research from Australia, as usual.

Speaking as an Australian, the reason people get injured in Australian gyms is due to the fact that 90% of the staff working in the commercial gyms, are morons.

What is more likely to cause injury, squatting increasingly heavy weights over a period of time, or doing partial squats while balancing on a bosu ball?

And in all honesty, the most dangerous thing anybody could do would be to follow the Fitness Australia 'guidelines'.

I'm sure these issues are hardly unique to Australia though.

The media is this country hold ALL the blame for this issue.
    They CONSTANTLY spread articles like this bullshit re-perpetuating myths and silly-bullshit about the "fitness" industry.
    One of the most respected online news resources the other week posted a nutrition article+Q&A.
    I had to spend a week replying to the authors bullshit advice to try and undo some of the harm she was causing.

Following are some of the comments from the academics/journalists that SHOULD KNOW BETTER.
    "Robert, this recent Swedish prospective study of 740,000 men over 34 years found that even the lowest fit lean men had a lower risk of heart attack than the fattest men in the highest fitness category."
    THIS^ was after someone asked about whether just trying to lose "weight" was redundant when we wanted to lose FAT, whether BMI was a shitty metric to measure with for longevity etc.

"MACRONUTRIENTS
    The best available current evidence show that in the long term whether you manipulate protein, fat or carbohydrate, it makes no difference to long-term weight loss and that the level of kilojoule (restriction) is the most important change."

"So if you weigh 100 kilograms you would want to have aroung 100 gram of protein. For example you can get this from approximately 150 gram of white fish (30g protein); 500mL skim milk (20g); 1 egg (6g); 1 small can baked beans (7g); 3 slices whoegrain bread (12g); 1 serve breakfast cereal (3-4g); 1x 200g tub youghurt (8g); 1 Tablespoon nuts (7g); 300g piece of chese (7g)."

I HAVE NOT EVER required a trainee to drop below 100grams of protein a day.
    I consider the recommendation of 65grams of protein a day for a 145lb woman negligent.
    To suggest that 100grams of protein is enough for a 220lb man ESPECIALLY one trying to lose fat NEGLIGENT.
    This is assuming a reasonably sedentary population eating meat. To suggest those levels are appropriate as a blanket statement;
    knowing that the population includes vegetarians, athletes, cancer patients, breast feeding mothers etc...

They should be stripped of all titles for this shit.
    No fact checking do these journalists employ, they simply fill columns and make the job of those trying to equip the general population with socratic reasoning that much harder.

You have no idea how bad it is in this country, and there are simply not enough of us to undo the damage.
    Fuck, its Kyle and a handful of others that know any better... and none of us have contact with enough people to make even a dent in the armour of lies, old beliefs and guess-work.

Quote Originally Posted by madmaxaus View Post
    Speaking as an Australian, the reason people get injured in Australian gyms is due to the fact that 90% of the staff working in the commercial gyms, are morons.
    I would not go so far as to call them morons, most are probably are keen to train folk but lack a proper skills set for training with free weights. Pity they could not send a bunch to Wichita Falls for a week or so, I am sure Mark Rippetoe could put them on the right track. Failing that maybe Kyle Aaron might like the job.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    You are supposed to ask somebody if it's okay to get up off of your Australian ass.
    Yeah, we have turned into a bunch of powder puffs.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    So half of the people they surveyed were of the opinion that other people were lifting weights that were "too heavy." Cutting-edge research from Australia, as usual.
    "Too heavy" What does it mean? One man's 100 Kgs is another mans bacon. Why can't they say, we are too weak to lift the weight?

Agreed. When you miss a lift it's not because the weight is too heavy. It's because you're too weak.

Perhaps on a T-shirt: "The weight isn't too heavy. You're just too weak"

Or: "The weight isn't too heavy. You're not strong enough. (Yet)"

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Tandy View Post
    The media is this country hold ALL the blame for this issue.
    They CONSTANTLY spread articles like this bullshit re-perpetuating myths and silly-bullshit about the "fitness" industry.
    One of the most respected online news resources the other week posted a nutrition article+Q&A.
    I had to spend a week replying to the authors bullshit advice to try and undo some of the harm she was causing.
    Back in the 80's when I still wasted my time with Muscle and Fitness I read a few articles quoting Australian bodybuilders. I say this simply reporting the facts as I recall them at the time and hope no offense (or is it offence?) is taken by you folks down under. But several of them said that Australia simply covers a lot of what already happened at least a decade ago in the US and carries it on. It made sense at the time since one of them was photo'ed posing on the hood of 67 Corvette with Dave Draper blonds locks flowing around his shoulders. Very Beach Boys.

So despite the miracles of modern communication via satellite and the internet, it sounds like there's some lingering hangover of that old phenomenon. At least in terms of what might broadly be termed physical culture. To use another old school term.

Quote Originally Posted by madmaxaus View Post
    This is a possibility, but I imagine the major risk would have to be lifting weights upside down.

If they lift them, how are they too heavy? My definition of "too heavy" is that I can't lift it.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mahogany View Post
    If they lift them, how are they too heavy? My definition of "too heavy" is that I can't lift it.
    Exactly. Once I tried a deadlift with a weight I couldn't move. That's was too heavy for me on that particular day. I tried a lighter weight and eventually I lifted the heavier weight.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast