starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: went full retard in the squat rack

Default went full retard in the squat rack

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    The other night i was messing around with snatch balances in the squat rack (start in a wide grip back squat and jump down into a full snatch position) i lost control with 135 and my hands were crushed underneath the bar as it hit the safeties, should have let go but it happened so fast.

Anyway my right thumb came out worst where the skin was ruptured quite badly exposing a chunk of my thumb muscle, should take 3-6 weeks to heal the open wound, there's also a Small hairline fracture right at the tip of my thumb.

so question is does anyone have any good ideas as to what i can do in the mean time, i may hit up the leg press for the first time in a while gripping a bar will be difficult for a period of time, the wounds right on the underside of my thumb.

Become a runner. You're obviously not bright enough to be trusted with barbells. Between you and CrossFit, weight training is about to become the most dangerous activity in all of human endeavor.

Failing that, leg press and ice your hands.

I dunno rip

I feel like this is the perfect time to hone in on my bosu ball pistol squats.

What's the point of doing this with safety bars? Those were what fucked you. Did you not have access to bumper plates?

I know Rip hates them, but belt squats are an option. I have found that alternating actual squat days with belt squat days leaves me more room to increase deadlift volume and my legs can easily handle the extra work. I have worked up to very close to my back squat 5RM with an iron mind belt and a loading pin. At least better than a leg press?

I don't hate them. I have used them. But equipment is sometimes difficult to put together.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I don't hate them. I have used them. But equipment is sometimes difficult to put together.
    That is true. I ended up making two small platforms to stand on so the plate stack drops down between them. An 8" platform make the weights hit the floor when I am about 2" below parallel, so if gives good feedback on depth.

Squats - should be easy to work around

Deadlift - one armed or straps if you can

Press - suicide grip

If you can still type I don't see a problem here, you deserve worse.

Quote Originally Posted by PressesPeople View Post
    What's the point of doing this with safety bars? Those were what fucked you. Did you not have access to bumper plates?
    Nope its a very commercial gym

not much space to do things like that so inside the squat rack seemed like a reasonable place, its not like anyone uses it, not when people have the smith machine......

actually managed to do some squats, presses, chin ups and good mornings last night being really careful with manageable weight

deadlifts and olympic lifts are still probably out but its something.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankie View Post

If you can still type I don't see a problem here, you deserve worse.
    Like being unable to masturbate?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast