starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IT Band Syndrome, Vastus Medialis, and Bosu Ball Squats

Default IT Band Syndrome, Vastus Medialis, and Bosu Ball Squats

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hi Rip,

Some recent trips to the chiropractor have left me kind of confused. Since I broke my ankle a few years back I've been having issues with my IT bands, but I've usually been able to keep them in check with some foam rolling and mobility stuff. In the past couple weeks, they got really bad to the point where I couldn't squat past 225. Was really painful and tight. I went and got some Graston done at the chiro, and it's been helping.

Here's the confusing part: the chiro told me that the vastus medialis on both my legs are weak and that my vastus lateralis is way overdeveloped and overcompensating. He recommends that I do bosu ball squats to address this imbalance. To illustrate his point, he challenged me to do a bosu ball squat. Of course, I just fell off and didn't know what to say. Honestly, I had a hard time figuring out the anatomy mumbo jumbo he was throwing at me.

I'm wondering if having weak VMs on both my legs is a legitimate issue, as my knees do click a lot. There's no pain, but there is some tendontis-like feeling on one of them. How can I figure out if they're weak or not? I mean, I've been doing my squats and deadlifts. If this is an actual issue and I do need to strengthen my VMs, what can I do that will actually help?

You've been squatting, right? How have you managed to squat without your VMs? Did you turn them off?

Quote Originally Posted by Albert987 View Post
    I broke my ankle a few years back I've been having issues with my IT bands, but I've usually been able to keep them in check with some foam rolling and mobility stuff.
    I broke my right ankle at 15 in 1965 and then again at age 20 and 1970. We all suffer pain and injuries in our own way and recover from them differently. At age 63, I have arthritis in every joint in my body that I have had X-rayed.

I'm no big fan of taking pills, but anti-inflammatories can be your friend when pain gets uncomfortable. In full disclosure, I have been treated by chiros since my 30's. But sometimes even getting your bones put in the right place don't help. So don't give too much credence where it might not be appropriate.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    You've been squatting, right? How have you managed to squat without your VMs? Did you turn them off?
    He probably didn't 'activate' them.

Seriously though, of course you fell of the bosu ball, the ability to balance on one and squat relies much more on getting used to the sensation of squatting on a fucking ball than it does on the correct 'activation' of muscles.

I think you need a new chiro.

I think he needs to read the board for a few weeks, and then get a new chiro.

I think he needs to post a video.

Some people want to revise anatomy. To get more out of the quads you have to create more tension. Squat deeper.

Squat heavier.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Yes sir, I have been. I guess that's my point. Why would my VMs be weak if I'm squatting and deadlifting? There are symptoms (knees clicking) that the chiro really insists are indicative of having weak VMs and overdeveloped VLs. From what I understand, the IT band also connects to the outside of the knee. So I'm wondering if these knee symptoms are just because of that and not because of a weak VM.

starting strength coach development program
    The VM is innervated by the Femoral Nerve (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Femoral_nerve), the same nerve that supplies the VI, the VL, and the RF. All the quads share common innervation. They all share a common insertion at the quadriceps tendon. extend the knee. The knee extends when you squat. You have been squatting. There have been no valgus form irregularities that you have mentioned, and you have mentioned no nervous system disorder. Therefore the VM has received its anatomically-determined share of the knee extension work when you squat, and since there is no mechanism by which it can have avoided performing its function and no mechanism by which it can have experienced differential recovery, it will have adapted to the stress of squatting by becoming stronger. Just like the VL and every other muscle involved in the squat.

Ask the chiropractor to explain WHY and HOW the situation he describes might have occurred.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast