starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Drug doses for big guys

Default Drug doses for big guys

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Rip, I know you're a beaten up old coot with an unquenchable thirst for vitamin I on a good day, but my enquiry is more general.

Having gone from a lamentable 140lb to a tolerable 220lb, I'm left wondering what to do with suggested doses of OTC medications - paracetamol, cough medicines, even antihistamines. Leave as is or titrate up until the drugs actually work?

Strange question I know, but perhaps more novel than another question about GOMAD.

Probably depends on the drug. Look it up case-by-case.

It'll probably depend on the size of your liver, and I bet that's not over 50% bigger than it used to be.

Depends on multiple factors, including lipid solubility, volume of distribution, therapeutic index, etc. FWIW, I would leave as is. Not an evidence-based opinion, but for most OTC meds you're not going to see that big a difference. I haven't put on as much weight as OP, but I have put on weight, and when it comes to OTCs I just take what I always took. In particular, NSAIDs, acetaminophen and benadryl still seem to work like they always did.

Stef might have another opinion on this.

Consider lowering the dose of cough syrup...to zero. IMO, cough syrup is just about useless. Some hot honey-lemon tea with a shot of bourbon works just as well if not better. YMMV.

I was doing a gram of Ibuprofen per dose but backed off to 800mg recently. 265lbs, btw, have been well north of 300 at times. I typically need higher doses than normal-sized humans, but YMMV and this could be dangerous (or just dysfunctional) depending on the medication. Research heavily.

I'd hazard the guess that mass won't make a huge difference for anything which has active metabolites produced in the liver and has a method of action that acts directly on the central nervous system.

But that's a relatively rare compound.

I reckon there's a reason effective dosages and lethal dosages are normally published in dose per unit mass.

Quote Originally Posted by Stu Hughes View Post
    Rip, I know you're a beaten up old coot with an unquenchable thirst for vitamin I on a good day, but my enquiry is more general.

Having gone from a lamentable 140lb to a tolerable 220lb, I'm left wondering what to do with suggested doses of OTC medications - paracetamol, cough medicines, even antihistamines. Leave as is or titrate up until the drugs actually work?

Strange question I know, but perhaps more novel than another question about GOMAD.
    Paracematol's (Tylenol for us Texans) mechanism of action is in the brain and the toxicity is limited by the liver. Since neither of these change much with strength training, I'll let you deduce the rest.

NSAIDs are limited by renal toxicity. Kidneys don't grow and don't regenerate. Again, the logical conclusion should follow.

Antihistamines work on histamine receptors, and for medical purposes the ones located on the skin and in the sinuses. Again, not gonna change much with weight.

OTC cough medicine doesn't even work that well but for the sake of the argument they're working on a reflex generated mostly in the trachea. Only effects of weight training on your trachea is dropping the bar on it and that ain't a goodun.

I'd really advise against playing pharmacologist too much on yourself. Not much good can come from it. I know docs in general don't always get held in the highest of esteem (with good reason) but a good doc is invaluable, just as a good strength coach can make or break you, in a matter of speaking. OTC drugs are far from benign. I'm not saying your question is a wrong one. It's just better to have that answered by someone who's better versed in their use.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathon Sullivan View Post
    Depends on multiple factors, including lipid solubility, volume of distribution, therapeutic index, etc. FWIW, I would leave as is. Not an evidence-based opinion, but for most OTC meds you're not going to see that big a difference. I haven't put on as much weight as OP, but I have put on weight, and when it comes to OTCs I just take what I always took. In particular, NSAIDs, acetaminophen and benadryl still seem to work like they always did.

Stef might have another opinion on this.
    Stef says that the dose of acetaminophen has a ceiling effect. Just take a gram. Ibuprofen requires 400mg/dose to have an anti-inflammatory effect. If she were taking it, she'd take the prescription dose of 800/day. When drugs are not dosed by weight in the instructions for adults, the dose does not vary by weight.

And what about the effect of (potentially) faster metabolism of 220 lb version of previously 140 lb? The liver may be the same size, but overall function may be more efficient. (??)

starting strength coach development program
    Great info! Thanks.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast