starting strength gym

Thread: Trainee with myeloma

Default Trainee with myeloma

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Dear Coach,

A lady I've been coaching for a few months has been diagnosed with myeloma. As is typical, her doctor was horrified to hear she was squatting and deadlifting more then her bodyweight. The doctor, again as is typical, recommended she lift nothing heavier then 10 lbs. The doctor's concern seems to be that heavy weights could compress the spine, cause a sudden fracture and release the cancerous plasma cells in her marrow causing the cancer to spread.

I've reassured my trainee that barbell training, properly done, will not cause her bones to fracture. That on the contrary, they will make her bones more resistant to fracture. Moreover, I've told her that making her bones stronger will buy her more time to have one of the many medical interventions work. Certainly more time then she would have if she allowed herself to get weak lifting 10lbs or less.

Is there anything else, from your considerable experience, that you would recommend I share with my trainee so as to encourage her to stay the course of building strength in the face of this disheartening diagnosis?

Best always,

Francisco

Quote Originally Posted by donfrancisco View Post
    Dear Coach,

A lady I've been coaching for a few months has been diagnosed with myeloma. As is typical, her doctor was horrified to hear she was squatting and deadlifting more then her bodyweight. The doctor, again as is typical, recommended she lift nothing heavier then 10 lbs. The doctor's concern seems to be that heavy weights could compress the spine, cause a sudden fracture and release the cancerous plasma cells in her marrow causing the cancer to spread.

I've reassured my trainee that barbell training, properly done, will not cause her bones to fracture. That on the contrary, they will make her bones more resistant to fracture. Moreover, I've told her that making her bones stronger will buy her more time to have one of the many medical interventions work. Certainly more time then she would have if she allowed herself to get weak lifting 10lbs or less.

Is there anything else, from your considerable experience, that you would recommend I share with my trainee so as to encourage her to stay the course of building strength in the face of this disheartening diagnosis?

Best always,

Francisco
    Is the myeloma strictly confined to the plasma, or does she have tumorous growths in the spine or pelvis? This is very important information to know prior to giving any education at all.

As is typical, her doctor was horrified to hear she was squatting and deadlifting more then her bodyweight. The doctor, again as is typical, recommended she lift nothing heavier then 10 lbs. The doctor's concern seems to be that heavy weights could compress the spine, cause a sudden fracture and release the cancerous plasma cells in her marrow causing the cancer to spread.

Here's one for the SSC doctors: how do your colleagues get away with making such patently absurd pronouncements? Is it the same way that a lot of my fellow engineers convince their clients that their buildings have catastrophic damage when they really just need some Spackle and a coat of paint? Is a medical license really that magical?

Multiple Myeloma commonly involves lytic lesions in the bone, and I would also be concerned about the risk of pathologic fracture if your client has these lesions present.

Thanks for the link Coach. Very inspiring story. I'm glad your client saw through your lack of bedside manner to know you really cared.

Mr. Morris, the myeloma is strictly confined to the plasma. It appears they have caught it very early and I'm very hopeful she will beat this and come out the other end stronger then ever.

Best,

Francisco

Thanks for the link Coach. Very inspiring story. I'm glad your client saw through your lack of bedside manner to know you really cared.

Mr. Morris, the myeloma is strictly confined to the plasma. It appears they have caught it very early and I'm very hopeful she will beat this and come out the other end stronger then ever.

Best,

Francisco
    A recent plain film of her lumbar spine would be helpful.

Dear Dr. Baraki,

My client, as of yet, has not worsened to the point of having multiple myeloma or lesions present. I will continue to get her stronger.

Should such lesions present at some future date, do you recommend she stop barbell training?

Best,

Francisco

Please do not put Dr. Baraki in the position of telling you that he cannot practice medicine on this website.

starting strength coach development program
    Quite right Rip. My apologies Dr. Baraki.