starting strength gym

Thread: Next time give me a reach around at least

Default Next time give me a reach around at least

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Rip, With my glutes, hams and hips aching today like they are after our training session one would think you would have had the common decency to give me a reach around HA

I really think those minor adjustments are going to pay off as a slowly ramp this up. I have zero knee pain and Think in short order Ill be back up in the 500's shooting for 6 in no time with just some hard work.

The only thing still wavering in my head with this squat technique is what is going to happen when I get back up in the 500 and beyond range and I'm at that torso angle. A bonus for me is a have a very strong back which I really on for my DLing and can GM over thats of what I can currently squat with a bum knee.

I guess my question would be, what kind of result do you see in someone getting folder over in this type of squat. My inclination is if I were to get folded its not a product of a bad squat technique, as this method seems to fit my body type well and would be more of a weakness.

I am thinking a real concentration on not just lower to mid back strength and density is important but also a great deal of upper back strength.

Many of times I've seen people get folded and wrongly accuse the the lower back and spinal erectors as the weak link when it was actually upper back musculature that's failed to hold its own end of the bargain, which then overloaded the rest of the chain.

Thoughts

Thanks Coach

But Phil, I remember feeling something around there...

The new back angle will strengthen the back, and you will adapt as the load goes up, both upper and lower erectors. If you concentrate on keeping chest up and chin down, or driving your chest up into your chin, the upper back is cued. I don't think you'll have any trouble changing over, and I'll bet you PR the squat this year.

That makes sense driving the chest into the chin. Its just going to take some sessions to get used to the new movement and motor patterns. I'm going to give this a good few month run and see what turns up.

Thanks,