starting strength gym

Thread: Another hernia question

Default Another hernia question

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    After feeling all the various kinds of mild pain/discomfort that would suggest a hernia (from what i read in this forum and elsewhere) I went to see a surgeon. After poking me hard in the groin, he said I don't actually have a hernia yet, but I have a tendency to get one. I don't get the feeling of pressure from lifting btw, just from crapping (couldn't think how to put it politely).

He said that I should put on a belt and these funny underpants which squeeze just above my groin, and keep lifting without going for any 1 rep PRs (which I wouldn't do anyway). He said the stronger I am, the better, for any possible hernia surgery and for life in general, which made me feel lucky I found such a cool surgeon.

Does that sound right to you though? And is there anything else I should look out for while lifting, in your experience?

Sounds to me like you will eventually have a hernia whether you do 1RMs or not. He seems better than most. Don't lose his phone number.

Default inevitable hernia

Yeah he did say it was going to happen sooner or later, whether I lift or not, and if I do lift, probably sooner. But he also said it could happen while lifting a bag of shopping or taking a dump, so no need to limit activities.

Thanks for your advice.