starting strength gym

Thread: Woman having trouble with press

Default Woman having trouble with press

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hi Mark,

First of all, thank you very much for writing Starting Strength. As a detail-oriented scientist, I appreciate the thoughtfulness and thoroughness of your writing.

I have two questions about the press.

1) I'm a 5' 2" woman and I'm not strong enough to lift an Olympic bar (at least not yet). My gym does have 25 and 35 pound fixed-weight bars and I can lift the 25 lb bar, but the 35 lb bar is too heavy. The only option I can think of is to use the EZ bar. Would using the EZ bar screw up the biomechanics of the press? If so, should I switch to doing a dumbell standing press?

2) I've had problems with repetive stress injury in my wrists before and my wrists bother me when I'm doing the press. Is it OK to use wrist wraps?

Thank you very much for your help.

1. It may be that you are not using the right gym. Either find a place with more female-friendly equipment or bring your own. You can get a light bar from several suppliers, and just take it in with you when you train.

2. The press strengthens the wrists against repetitive-stress injuries, and does not produce wrist pain itself if done correctly. I'll bet that you have the bar too far back in your fingers when you grip it. And this may improve when you get your light bar.

Hi Mark,

1) I'm a graduate student and I use the university gym, so switching gyms isn't a real option for me. I'll just try to do the best I can ... until I graduate!

2) Thanks for the advice about grip positioning on the press. I did remember to place the bar near the heel of my hands before, but I think I was just afraid to injure myself. I did the press today with bare hands and my wrists were fine. It's good to have reassurance from an expert like yourself. It seems like half the battle in lifting is having confidence in your training... especially for us women!

1. You didn't mention the get-your-own-bar option. Get your own bar.

2. Be ye not afraid.