starting strength gym

Thread: Training for chin-up 1RM

Default Training for chin-up 1RM

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Hi Coach

My current training is based on the Texas method with basic strength exercises and it has been working well. I really enjoy doing chin-ups and pull-ups and I?d like to do a weighted chin-up or pull-up with same weight as my bodyweight. Because I find chin-ups easier than pull-ups with heavy weights chin-ups are basic exercises for me in every workout. My current status is:
    Height: 1.73m (5'8")
    Weight: 70kg (154 lbs)
    1RM chin-up: 60kg (132 lbs)

So I am basically only 10kg away of my personal goal. Unfortunately progress first slowed down to almost nothing and now it has stalled. In other exercises progress is still happening. I do chin-ups and pull-ups in beginning of training session except that power cleans are done first if they are in program. I always try to concentrate in full range of motion and starting from a dead-hang so that no cheating is happening. My current program for chin-ups and pull-ups:

High volume day (Wednesday):
    Chin-ups, 6 sets of 5 reps
    Pull-ups, 2 sets of 5 reps

Light day (Friday):
    Chin-ups, 2 sets of 5 reps
    Pull-ups, 1 set of 5 reps

High intensity (Monday):
    Chin-ups, 1RM, 2RM or 3RM

So basically I am trying to apply the Texas method as described in Practical Programming. Because I have at Monday only 1 hour of time instead of almost two hours on Wednesday and Friday I have changed the days a little. Any comments and ideas how to achieve my goal would be welcome.

I have no experience with this particular permutation of the Texas method. At all. It should work if you can get recovered, and exercises that are primarily composed of smaller muscle groups are famous for being more easily overtrained. And it sounds like this has already become a problem, so something needs to be trimmed. Start with the light day and see if dropping that gives you another PR.

What I have found to work best in your situation and specifically addressing weighted chins/pullups is almost daily "practice" with low volume i.e. 3x3, 2x5, etc. and deliberately leaving a couple reps in the tank. You have to be very patient and just do the work as with all things in life. If you start rushing and doing too much volume/intensity you will backslide very quickly. "Test" yourself once or twice(at most) a month. If you start feeling burned out, cut the volume in half for a day or two. It will seem hard doing only one set of 3-5 reps but it will pay off.

Thank you very much for taking time to comment my problem. It made me thinking and now I feel that I have made a mistake. My program has been based on the Texas method for just few months. I did not do chin-ups in every training session (Mon, Wed, Fri) before with my previous program and I basically achieved my current 1RM already then.

I started with 5 sets of 5 reps on volume day and I have been adding volume and thought that it is all that is needed but for example today (intensity day) I felt "ready" to squat but "tired" before chin-ups. So I really have to try reducing.

Chin-ups and pull-ups have much in common. Would it make any sense to alternate them every other workout like for example presses and bench presses?

Yes, it's good to alternate the two grips to keep the arms in balance.

starting strength coach development program
    Thank you for your answers.