starting strength gym

Thread: Questions about helping someone with a hip replacement

Default Questions about helping someone with a hip replacement

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Dear Mr. Rippetoe,

One of my friends who received a hip replacement because of cancer asked me what exercises he could do for his legs. I asked him a few questions and told him I would get back to him after asking you.

I first asked him if he could assume the position on page 20 (figure 5) of the first edition. In this image, one of your trainees is pushing out his elbows at the bottom of the squat. He can't get very far down because he is so inflexible from the scar tissue. He also said that his balance is especially poor as he descends in the squat. Here is some of our conversation:

My least flexible muscle is in between my abductor and my gluteal muscle. also I dont have much range of motion when I raise my knee up. My hip flexor is really inflexible. I've been stretching and doing some body weight exercises but I haven't been able to stay disciplined enough to make any steady or marked progress. Any advice you've got would be great.

So basically, I'm here to fufill his request of finding any advice that would help him. I suggested myofasical release to help with the scar tissue; I also said that each time he did BW squats to practice going deeper to improve his flexibility. Please tell me if any of this advice could put him at risk to any injury as I am a 17 year-old-boy who really does not know anything.

This guy has really been through a lot in the last two years, and I hope that he will be able to enjoy progressing with his lower body even if it is very slow progression. As you have written, "physical strength is the most important thing in life."

Thanks for all of your help,

William

P.S. If there are too many elements to consider and it would take you to long to write out in a post should I just give you a call?

You're a good kid for wanting to help him out. Give me a call.