starting strength gym

Thread: Can't get below paralell yet

Default Can't get below paralell yet

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Coach Rippetoe,

I'm into my 4th week of Novice program, progress is going well with squats (added 10lbs/workout every workout the first 3 weeks, first workout of week 4 I added 5 lbs). I've read SS 1st Ed, and refer to it often. I've got PP on order.

I filmed my workout yesterday and realized that my squats are only parallel at best. The heavier weight of my work sets (now at 175lbs) helps me get a bit lower than the warmup sets, but still not below parallel.

I understand that doing squats will improve flexibility. Should I have gotten there yet though? Does the progress I've made so far count or should I do more work (rigourous stretching) to get flexible, then back off the weight a bit?

If this matters, I'm 38, 5'6", 150lbs, prolly around 20% fat. The video is analog - I can borrow some digital equipment to enable video post if that is required.

Thanks. And thanks for writing the books and these forum posts. I screwed up my shoulders at age 16 because I didn't know how to bench press properly. The BP chapter has cleared up a lot of confusion I've always had about proper technique.

-SW

A lot of money -- maybe $350 -- says that all you need to do is shove your knees out to the sides at the bottom to get depth.

For what it's worth, the stretch illustrated on page 14 of Starting Strength (fig. 2-8) helped me a lot. And I'm 44.