starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you wear a belt on your Light Day Squats?

Default Do you wear a belt on your Light Day Squats?

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I'm currently squatting 300x3x5 for worksets. I wear a belt for the worksets only, and warm up to about 25lbs less than my workset for a single with no belt. I had my first light Wednesday last week, and since 245# (80% of monday's weight) is lighter than my last warmup on a heavy day, which I would do beltless, I decideded to not use a belt for all three sets, and it was harder than I'd expected it to be. Nothing like my worksets on heavy days, but it occurred to me that if the point of light Wednesday is to provide some rest, am I defeating the purpose by not wearing the belt?

From now on I'll use the belt only for my intense days

I have underdeveloped obliques for relying on the belt so much

Quote Originally Posted by Carnivroar View Post
    From now on I'll use the belt only for my intense days

I have underdeveloped obliques for relying on the belt so much
    Can you explain? I thought the purpose of the belt was to give your stomach muscules, including obliques, something to push against? Wouldn't wearing a belt make for stronger obliques? I did the first squat in my life less than 3 months ago, and first with a belt a couple of weeks ago, but I think I recall this from SS.

I don't wear a belt on the light day. You might only want to do 2 sets instead of 3 as well. Don't do as many warmup reps either. It'll feel heavier than it should because the previous workout has left you fatigued a bit. Once you get through the workout and the following day you should feel better.

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorWho View Post
    Can you explain? I thought the purpose of the belt was to give your stomach muscules, including obliques, something to push against? Wouldn't wearing a belt make for stronger obliques? I did the first squat in my life less than 3 months ago, and first with a belt a couple of weeks ago, but I think I recall this from SS.
    The obliques can't push against the belt, only the front abs can. Therefore they do not get trained. and the main function is abs is stabilization, which the belt eliminates.

No.

If you don't need it, why use it? It's probably better to leave it off.

I haven't reached the point where I need a light day so excuse me if this is completely ignorant.

If lifting at 80% without a belt is nearly as difficult on your erectors as lifting at 100% with a belt then not wearing a belt on your light day makes your light day heavy.

shouldnt have to on 80% of what is already 80-85% of max. i find light days are tougher on the mind more than volume days since everything is sore

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by wes View Post
    I haven't reached the point where I need a light day so excuse me if this is completely ignorant.

If lifting at 80% without a belt is nearly as difficult on your erectors as lifting at 100% with a belt then not wearing a belt on your light day makes your light day heavy.

I don't think that is true. It's an 80lb difference for me and that is quite a substantial de-load for the back muscles. Plus the light day is about less overall systemic stress not just a percent of maximum.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast