starting strength gym

Thread: Bench & Dumbbell exercises while in a leg brace

Default Bench & Dumbbell exercises while in a leg brace

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    I was making pretty good progress with a Barbell Prescription version of the novice program for most of 2017 (went from squatting under 200 up to 330), then fell off the wagon for a couple months due to travel, work, and an injury. Was all set to get back into it for the new year, and then fell and ruptured my left patellar tendon right at the end of the year.

Surgery to repair the left knee when well; now I'm looking for thoughts on upper body workouts I can do in the meantime.

My restrictions: left knee is fully immobilized in a brace, left leg can bear limited weight (with crutches or a cane), with resulting impact on balance. Hoping to start physical therapy on the left leg in a few weeks; right leg has to do all the work for things like sitting, standing, and going up/down stairs, so I'm not really inclined to give it extra work.

What I've got: adjustable dumbbells that go from 5 to 52.5 lbs, an adjustable bench, and not a lot of upper body strength (was at 85 or 90 on overhead press), 52 yo.

What I'm doing now:
    Workout A:
    • (Main) dumbbell bench press, warmups X10 X8 at lighter weights, then 3 sets X5, obv can't do proper form since I can't bend the left leg, so not going to go all out
    • (Supplemental) seated dumbbell side (lateral) raise, warmups X10 x10 at lighter weights, then 3 sets x10, interleaved with...
    • (Supplemental) seated dumbbell front raise, warmups X10 x10 at lighter weights, then 3 sets x10

Workout B:
    • (Main) dumbbell seated overhead press, warmups X10 X8 at lighter weights, then 3 sets X5
    • (Supplemental) seated biceps curl, warmups X10 x10 at lighter weights, then 3 sets x10
    • (Supplemental) dumbbell row, warmups X10 x10 at lighter weights, then 3 sets x10

I do A one day, then B one day, then a day off. While I'm just getting back into things I'm going pretty light but also trying to increase every time.

The rows are tough, obviously can't do them the normal way, instead I've been inclining the bench about 30 degrees and lying on it face down; this lets my arms hang all the way to the ground. Leg in the brace is a bit strained but not carrying any weight or uncomfortable when I do this, main difficulty is just getting in/out of position. To lessen the time that I'm there, I pull with both arms simultaneously.

Any suggestions for alternate exercises? From past experience, I expect to have to keep with this for several months.

I guess this is approx what I'm able to do for the row - chest-supported dumbbell row.
    chest-supported-row.jpg