starting strength gym

Thread: Weights/Reps for Test Day?

Default Weights/Reps for Test Day?

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I finished the Smolov Base Cycle last Saturday with 10x3x365 without a belt. This Friday I want to test my Squat. Previous best was 1x400 with a belt. Any ideas how to approach this? Which weights/reps to choose for warming up and for testing? What would be a realistic target? Thanks!

I'd think this would greatly vary from person to person, but if it were me, I'd do the same warm-up as you did Saturday, hit a single at 365, hit 400 or 405, just to be sure, and then go up in 15 or 20 or 25 pound increments depending on how they feel. Unless you think you're gonna do something like 500, in which case I'd make much bigger jumps.

Sounds good. I think a realistic target would be something like 420 (not 500, although I like this number ...), that yould be an increase of 20 pounds compared to the previous 1rm. So following Mahogany's advice this would mean warming up like last Saturday, then hitting singles @ 365 (working weight of last Saturday), 400 and 420. I would be very happy if this is going to work;-) Other than that it would be interesting to know the relationship (if there is any) between the weight of the last 10x3 in a Smolov Base Cycle and the new 1rm accomplished after the Base Cycle. Or at least the relationship between the previous and the new 1rm. Most people I know (sample of around 10 people) got a new 1rm around 25% higher than the last 10x3 and compared to the previous 1rm a 10% increase.
    Last edited by CFB; 01-22-2014 at 08:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CFB View Post
    Sounds good. I think a realistic target would be something like 420 (not 500, although I like this number ...), that yould be an increase of 20 pounds compared to the previous 1rm. So following Mahogany's advice this would mean warming up like last Saturday, then hitting singles @ 365 (working weight of last Saturday), 400 and 420. I would be very happy if this is going to work;-)
    I'd personally go for a single at 365, single at 405 (just to "guarantee" a new PR) and single at 420. But you gotta know yourself. Will a single at 400/405 fatigue you and decrease your chances of hitting the 420?