starting strength gym

Thread: Squat pain

Default Squat pain

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Coach,
    When I am squatting, by the time it's over my shoulders and sometimes elbows hurt. The biggest problem is my flexibility. I cannot get my wrists straight. I am stretching daily to get it fixed, but I don't know how long it will take. I was going to do my bench or press before squat and see if that helps with losening up the shoulders. The main problem is the shoulder pain not the elbow pain.

Any idea if I am doing any permanent damage to my shoulders by pushing through the pain?

Video?

Can barely see this from this angle, but your wrists are in extension. This means that a slightly wider grip would produce the same bar support with straight wrists, and might be easier on your shoulders.

I'll give that a try. Thank you.

Matthew Spicka,
    I am a 51 y.o. lifter. Years of work in the trades and sports has left me with overuse injuries, one of which is my shoulders. The right side in particular, is extremely stiff and hard to move while under the bar. In addition to what Rip says, might I suggest what works for me, and what I do while warming up: there are trigger points where the trapezius falls over the scapula, and underneath the traps, where all the rotator cuff musculature lies. Using a tennis ball (lacrosse ball too brutal- if you mash those muscles too much, you risk inflammation), lie supine on the floor and place the ball on the medial edge of the scapula while your hands rest underneath your head, like you're taking a nap. Hunt around and loosen up the glued together bits. Also hunt for trigger points all over the scapula. If I do this for 10-15 minutes I find that getting the proper grip while low bar squatting is possible with no pain and a greater range of motion. Hope it helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Schmidt View Post
    Matthew Spicka,
    I am a 51 y.o. lifter. Years of work in the trades and sports has left me with overuse injuries, one of which is my shoulders. The right side in particular, is extremely stiff and hard to move while under the bar. In addition to what Rip says, might I suggest what works for me, and what I do while warming up: there are trigger points where the trapezius falls over the scapula, and underneath the traps, where all the rotator cuff musculature lies. Using a tennis ball (lacrosse ball too brutal- if you mash those muscles too much, you risk inflammation), lie supine on the floor and place the ball on the medial edge of the scapula while your hands rest underneath your head, like you're taking a nap. Hunt around and loosen up the glued together bits. Also hunt for trigger points all over the scapula. If I do this for 10-15 minutes I find that getting the proper grip while low bar squatting is possible with no pain and a greater range of motion. Hope it helps.
    Eric,
    I really appreciate the help. I will definitely try that. I just bought

Index Knobber II - Massage Tool | Rogue Fitness

and have been pushing in my shoulders.

Just finished squating and used a wider grip. Did not feel anything in my shoulders or elbows.

starting strength coach development program
    Widened my grip and no shoulder or elbow pain. Funny how sometimes we cannot think of the simplest things.