starting strength gym

Thread: Questions about Squat Suits

Default Questions about Squat Suits

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    First of all I want to thank you for recommending the deadlifting belt from General Leathercraft. I just arrived yesterday, and I used it for squats as well. Very strong and comfortable. Great price, and reasonable international delivery time.
    Here I am inaugurating the belt:

I just found out about powerlifting competitions local to where I live, and I'm considering signing up. Reading the rules I discovered that one is required to compete in a singlet. So yesterday I put on this cheapo singlet (seen in above video) that I caught on sale some time ago, and tried it out for the first time. However according to the rules the singlet can't go lower than mid-thigh. So I'd either have to trim this one or buy an approved type. In my online search for a singlet I discovered that for a few more bucks one can get a squat suit that can help squat considerably heavier.

However, from what I've read, one has to train in the suits for a while to get the hang of them in order to see real benefits. So question #1 is:
    How is training in a squat suit going to affect my progress? In other words, I'm at a fork in the road; if I start training now in a suit, what will my raw squat look like a year from now, and what would it look like a year from now if I continue training raw?

I'm 54 years old and interested in competing primarily to push myself to reach my personal best. "Winning" in a meet is unlikely (very... hahaha), but merely preparing for a meet will help me train better. And if I'm already competing, why should I put myself at a disadvantage compared to everyone else? It seems to make sense that for the purpose of a meet I probably should get a suit; and maybe even a bench shirt while I'm at it.

I did a little searching on the forums here, but I'm hoping to gain more clarity by starting this thread. So whatever your thoughts on the subject, I'm all ears.

PS the case of Chalkness Monster I ordered just arrived a few hours ago. Thanks for helping me get that sorted out too.

Suits and shirts are used in the Equipped category. They are equippment that alter the mechanics of the lift and require completely different technique and training. Its really not something you'd consider if you are going to a powerlifting meet for the first time. You should compete in the RAW/classic category.

If you cant lift it Raw, YOU cant lift it.

What Hans said. I started competing in powerlifting (raw division) in 2012 at age 62. I've never used a squat suit to lift in nor even knee sleeves, although it's within the rules in the raw division. What I have seen are the poor unfortunate souls struggling to get into their squat suits and get them secured. Most of them needed 1-2 helpers, and it was a sweaty, red faced battle that couldn't help but remind me of the sculpture of Laocoön and His Sons getting enwrapped by serpents. Laocoon and His Sons - Wikipedia

Equipped and raw are indeed two different beasts. Never having used "gear" of any kind, including drugs, I'd be surprised if lifting equipped did anything for raw lifts.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    What Hans said. I started competing in powerlifting (raw division) in 2012 at age 62. I've never used a squat suit to lift in nor even knee sleeves, although it's within the rules in the raw division. What I have seen are the poor unfortunate souls struggling to get into their squat suits and get them secured. Most of them needed 1-2 helpers, and it was a sweaty, red faced battle that couldn't help but remind me of the sculpture of Laocoön and His Sons getting enwrapped by serpents. Laocoon and His Sons - Wikipedia

Equipped and raw are indeed two different beasts. Never having used "gear" of any kind, including drugs, I'd be surprised if lifting equipped did anything for raw lifts.
    You end up doing like 6x2 or 3x3 when training in a suit with 15min restperiods. When you bench in a shirt the mechanics are completely different, in that you have to pull the bar down to your chest and setting the shirt too tight, sometimes lifters fail to touch the chest. You train raw to get stronger, and then you put on the gear to get better at using it. Theres no real benefit.

German Powerlifter Kevin Koch benched 370kg with a shirt at the time he did 255kg raw. 21 year old Kevin Jäger benched the IPF WR in the open equipped -120kg class with a 400+kg bench. I think he lifted around 260kg raw- doesn't share his training lifts. The only one online is a 210kg raw bench from 2 years ago when he was benching 320kg.

I urge the original poster to look up Calgary barbell on YouTube and watch his project pilsen series on preparation for an equipped meet.

Actually, i urge anyone in need of watching material to check it out, regardless of your interest in geared lifting. I was this person but enjoyed the material greatly!

Quote Originally Posted by Bliss View Post
    I urge the original poster to look up Calgary barbell on YouTube and watch his project pilsen series on preparation for an equipped meet.

Actually, i urge anyone in need of watching material to check it out, regardless of your interest in geared lifting. I was this person but enjoyed the material greatly!
    I agree, they are putting out some great training content.

Quote Originally Posted by Hans Bachmann View Post
    Suits and shirts are used in the Equipped category. They are equippment that alter the mechanics of the lift and require completely different technique and training. Its really not something you'd consider if you are going to a powerlifting meet for the first time. You should compete in the RAW/classic category.
    This is the correct advice. Rabbi, stick to raw powerlifting for now. If you want to mess around with equipped later, it will require a steep learning curve and a lot of practice. No disadvantage to keeping it raw, because you'll only compete against the other lifters who aren't using squat suits.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Skillin View Post
    This is the correct advice. Rabbi, stick to raw powerlifting for now. If you want to mess around with equipped later, it will require a steep learning curve and a lot of practice. No disadvantage to keeping it raw, because you'll only compete against the other lifters who aren't using squat suits.
    Well said. In other words, I can save my money. It's funny how I can get a bug in my head thinking that I need to buy something, when I really have no need for it. I'm glad to be educated by the forum members. Thanks.