starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bench comparison: Rogue Flat Utility Bench 2.0 vs Rep Fitness FB-5000

Default Bench comparison: Rogue Flat Utility Bench 2.0 vs Rep Fitness FB-5000

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I'm buying a new flat bench and I was all ready to buy the Rogue Flat Utility Bench 2.0:
    https://www.roguefitness.com/rogue-flat-utility-bench

...when someone pointed out the Rep FB-5000 Competition Flat Bench:
    Rep FB-5000 Competition Flat Bench - Benches - Benches, Sleds, and GHD - Strength

Rogue's reputation is well known, but I know little of Rep Fitness. The bench looks ideal for me though, with IPF specs, and a tripod design for uneven floors (which I have), and it's even less expensive (although with shipping not by much).

Is anyone familiar with Rep Fitness's quality? How does it stack up with Rogue? Because, honestly, even if they were the same price, on paper, based on specs, the Rep FB-5000 looks better.

Neither one of those benches actually matches the IPF specs, at least as far as what you will find on an ER or Eleiko combo rack, but both are probably close enough to not matter. The Rogue bench is a quarter of an inch too high. The Rep Fitness bench has a much thicker pad than is generally allowed. The thicker pad is probably more comfy and you would notice the difference on that when compared to a combo rack more than you would the slight height difference on the Rogue. Combo rack benches often don't have much padding. The Rogue bench is very nice and I have used one for a long time. You won't go wrong with it. The Rep Fitness bench looks quite promising, too, but I am suspicious of the price. I wonder what the catch is. It is 62 lbs for $120. Quality cast iron plates cost about that much and there is no welding, powder coating, or sewing involved with those. It would be interesting to see one in person, especially after a year or two of use.

Yeah, neither one is IPF APPROVED, but the Rep claims to be "Designed to meet IPF specs of height, width, and length". I don't need an IPF approved bench, but it's nice to train on one with the correct dimensions, because, you know...someday, I may want to compete in the >80 Masters.

And yeah, Rep looks good on paper, I just want to know if it's really as good as it sounds from anyone who's used/purchased one (or things from Rep in general).

Quote Originally Posted by sugapablo View Post
    Yeah, neither one is IPF APPROVED, but the Rep claims to be "Designed to meet IPF specs of height, width, and length". I don't need an IPF approved bench, but it's nice to train on one with the correct dimensions, because, you know...someday, I may want to compete in the >80 Masters.

And yeah, Rep looks good on paper, I just want to know if it's really as good as it sounds from anyone who's used/purchased one (or things from Rep in general).
    I only have a couple Kettlebells from Rep and they are well machined and finished. Sorry I can't provide more. The folks I spoke to on the phone sounded competent and helpful and took pride in their gear, for what it's worth.

Their kettlebells and some other products (like their plyo boxes) look exactly like Rogue products, as if they're trying to be "West Coast Rogue" or something, just a little less expensive.

Their kettlebells and some other products (like their plyo boxes) look exactly like Rogue products, as if they're trying to be "West Coast Rogue" or something, just a little less expensive.
    I've most often heard the bells compared to Kettlebell Kings, and have seen reviews where the Rep bells were considered a better product than the Rogue. Just reporting on a handful of reviews I read before I made my purchases.

They're not exactly west coast. They're in CO. (And I wouldn't be surprised if several lines are manufactured in the same facility overseas.)

I have the Rep adjustable bench. The covering is a little slicker than the Rogue, but it's a pretty stout bench. It's a bolt-together, so it requires occasional tightening, but I have no complaints.

I went for the Rep, primarily for the three leg design as there is an uneven part of my floor right where it would be an issue with a four leg (equivalent) bench.

Hoping it’s as good as it sounds.

I went for the Rep, primarily for the three leg design as there is an uneven part of my floor right where it would be an issue with a four leg (equivalent) bench.

Hoping it’s as good as it sounds.
    Looks like a superb bench! Let us know how you like it. I'm thinking of swapping my Rogue flat bench for Rep's 5000, if it gets solid feedback.

starting strength coach development program
    I got the FB-5000 and have used it now, and I can't speak to how it compares to Rogue, but it DOES seem to be a quality bench.

It was easy to put together, it seems rock solid. I'm not sure what else can be said about a bench.

The only thing I have to say is, while I didn't weight it, it does NOT seem like it's 62 lbs. It was 72 lbs boxed (per the overweight sticker on the UPS box), but it just doesn't feel that heavy. *shrugs*

I do like it though. Nice addition to my basement gym. Totally worth the $.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast