starting strength gym

Thread: Got Chains for Xmas... Front Squat?

Default Got Chains for Xmas... Front Squat?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Hi guys/gals. I got some PL chains for Xmas and I was wondering if anyone had experience using them on the Front Squat. I currently have a Squat variation slot open after I DL and I'm thinking about plugging these in. I'd love to hear people's experience.

How much do you squat/front squat and how heavy are the chains?

315 for a single. 275x5 is 5rm.

Chains weigh 30lbs total. I can rig them so they are 1" off ground at start.

Quote Originally Posted by CamLeslie View Post
    315 for a single. 275x5 is 5rm.

Chains weigh 30lbs total. I can rig them so they are 1" off ground at start.
    All of the following is just my opinion.

The purpose of chains is to create a weight difference between the bottom and the top. I like to keep total chain weight around 10-25% of 1RM of the lift. Keep in mind that the difference between the bottom/top weight will be less than that, as the chain will usually not deload fully. Using less chain that that won't hurt anything, but it may not have a big effect compared to just doing the lift without chains. Using more chain than that won't always necessarily carry over.

30 lbs of chain might be useful for your front squat, though you're typically only deloading half of the chain, resulting in a ~15 lb difference between the bottom and the top. I would use another set of chains if I could. You might get more out of 1 set by using them while benching.

Also, you want to keep a link on the floor at the top of the lift. Don't set them up 1" above the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by hamburgerfan View Post

Also, you want to keep a link on the floor at the top of the lift. Don't set them up 1" above the ground.
    Why? So they don't swing? Thanks for the responses btw.

That's one reason. The other is that the chains are on the bar so that they can deload on the floor. If the chains start out 1" above the floor then 1 extra inch of the chain is not deloading, leading to a smaller training effect. At that point you might as well just add more regular weight to the bar. People sometimes get the impression that chains are a tool for stability training. While I suppose you could use them for this purpose, I think they're much more valuable when used for accommodating resistance.

Is there a particular reason why chains would be preferred over bands of appropriate tension?

The main reason seems to be they look badasscompares to bands.

Quote Originally Posted by hamburgerfan View Post
    That's one reason. The other is that the chains are on the bar so that they can deload on the floor. If the chains start out 1" above the floor then 1 extra inch of the chain is not deloading, leading to a smaller training effect. At that point you might as well just add more regular weight to the bar. People sometimes get the impression that chains are a tool for stability training. While I suppose you could use them for this purpose, I think they're much more valuable when used for accommodating resistance.
    I like using chains for squats. as you hit the bottom the weight of the chains have less effect but as you rise up you can work the sticky point as your accelerate up.

I've used chains for farmers walk so I didn't have to hold onto heavy dumbs. Pushups, chins. there are numerous applications.

watch a few Louie Simmons videos.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Bliss View Post
    Is there a particular reason why chains would be preferred over bands of appropriate tension?
    I asked a very experienced lifter about this recently.. this is some of his reply:

"Bands can be very hard on the joints. Bands are, generally, more useful for light speed work. ...

The loading on chains feels much better than bands. It's not as hard on the joints. You only feel like plates are being added & not a feeling of someone actively pulling you down. They are very different forms of resistance. One cannot replace the other. I feel that chains are way more useful in max effort/heavy deadlifts, bench & squat.."