starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whey Protein and Farting

brundylop Guest

Default Whey Protein and Farting

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    • starting strength seminar april 2025
    I think consuming whey is causing me to fart all day long. Do any of you guys have this problem too? Have you found some method of reducing this effect?

This is an earnest question, and I trust we can be mature about this instead of acting like some middle school idiots.

Yes, I used to have this issue. For me, it was making the protein shakes in the blender. Blenders suck in air, most people burp it back out, but if you have a fast digestive system, and the shake goes into your intestine, the air comes out the other end.

I found that if I use a smaller plastic cup and fill it 80% full, there is still enough room to manually shake it and mix the water and protein and I didn't get gas as a result. The manual shake method does settle out though, so I shake them twice, once when pouring them into the glass and once right before consumption.

Hope that helps.

Is it whey protein concentrate, or whey protein isolate? The concentrate makes me a little too musical. I have no problems whatsoever with the isolate.

Beano?

Quote Originally Posted by spar View Post
    Is it whey protein concentrate, or whey protein isolate? The concentrate makes me a little too musical. I have no problems whatsoever with the isolate.
    And to add a bit to this, I think spar's experience is probably because the concentrates have lactose in them, so it sounds like whey protein concentrate + lactose intolerance to me. Sometimes they mix lactase into the product to help with this, like in Gaspari's Myofusion. Try the isolates.

Quote Originally Posted by jgh View Post
    And to add a bit to this, I think spar's experience is probably because the concentrates have lactose in them, so it sounds like whey protein concentrate + lactose intolerance to me. Sometimes they mix lactase into the product to help with this, like in Gaspari's Myofusion. Try the isolates.
    I agree. Lactose intolerance is pretty much the only reason to buy whey isolate and spar is east asian, which usually don't handle lactose very well. Get pure whey isolate is lactose if your problem or get some lactase.
    Last edited by Carlos Daniel; 07-16-2011 at 10:37 AM.

I fail to see the problem for some reason...

Quote Originally Posted by Greg C View Post
    I fail to see the problem for some reason...

Yeah me neither. Sounds like a bonus to me.

Stop taking the whey.

brundylop Guest

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by brent217 View Post
    Yes, I used to have this issue. For me, it was making the protein shakes in the blender. Blenders suck in air, most people burp it back out, but if you have a fast digestive system, and the shake goes into your intestine, the air comes out the other end.

I found that if I use a smaller plastic cup and fill it 80% full, there is still enough room to manually shake it and mix the water and protein and I didn't get gas as a result. The manual shake method does settle out though, so I shake them twice, once when pouring them into the glass and once right before consumption.

Hope that helps.
    Interesting, I never thought it was literally gas produced in the protein shake. I'll try things and see if it helps, although I'm starting to suspect lactose intolerance.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast