starting strength gym

Thread: Yet another shoulder injury question

Default Yet another shoulder injury question

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    • starting strength seminar april 2025
    Hey Rip,

Have you ever trained anyone that has had a Mumford Procedure - resection of the distal part of the clavicle?

I had an open rotator cuff repair along with the Mumford back in May and I still can't press worth a shit. I've got a long history of impingement and also had 2 acromioplasty's previously on the same shoulder. The rotator cuff has healed, the clavicle not so much. Since the surgery my pulls and squats have progressed pretty well.

My goal is to start competing in powerlifting next year, but my bench is one big piece of shit.

I'm an old geezer at 47, but I still think I have a little left in the tank.

Just wondering if you've had any experience with this.

Thanks,

Steve

I have a modified Mumford (the scope version, only about 5mm of resection) on both shoulders. The bench takes a while since the AC ligament has been disrupted. Presses and chins have been my rehab method so far, with occasional benches thrown in to see how things are coming.

So at 6 months post surgery it's "normal" to be benching about 60% of what I was previously?

In your experience, when do you think the bench should start coming around?

Thanks again,

Steve

Ligaments heal slowly. Better to take your time with a shoulder. Do you really want to have this repair repaired?

47 is not that old! Wait til you hit 60 (shiver). Listen to Rip, and you'll have plenty of gas in the tank to make progress.