starting strength gym

Thread: Squat form check

Default Squat form check

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Hi, Coaches!

Since I brought Squat Stands two months ago, I've been increasing 2kg every workout.
    Because I don't usually work out with a partner, I am worried of failing reps in the middle of the squats. Then I just have to push the bar to the floor?

And I wonder if I had a bad form in heavy sets.

This is my second set of 80kg squat.
    Squat 80kg - YouTube

Thanks!

P.S. About shoes, I'm not available to buy it now but I will ASAP.

Quote Originally Posted by CHKang View Post
    I am worried of failing reps in the middle of the squats. Then I just have to push the bar to the floor?
    You have two choices here. Either you will need to get very good at figuring out when you will not be able to complete your next rep, or you will need to get some kind of safeties, such as saw horses. The other option when it gets heavy enough is just go to a gym that has a power rack, if one is available to you.

Your squats look okay. You tend to go a little too deep and you need to let your knees go a little further forward. Other than that, things look okay. Shoes will help with your knee position a little.

I have a question. If I go too deep, what problem occurs?

And thanks for your time.

Quote Originally Posted by CHKang View Post
    I have a question. If I go too deep, what problem occurs?

And thanks for your time.
    You will be forced to relax something, which is not desirable in the squat. That "something" could be your hamstrings and adductors, flexing your spine, letting your knees travel too far forward, or some combination thereof. There is a more thorough treatment of this in the book, too.

This is very long reply but please check this.

I feel uncomfortable even though you said ok. Lower back pain or uncomfortable neck or shoulders. If I don't train for a week, my back is fine. I really don't know what is the problem.

About stance:
    I suspected that was because of stance, becuase I felt different feeling with different stances. I tried 26cm~38cm width stances. 38cm always came with lower back pain. 26cm was too narrow so Nick D'Agostino said widen 2 inches. 30.5cm was fine but sometimes I felt more quad or uncomfortable neck.
    I widened about 1 inch(34cm) and you said it's fine. But still had lower back pain. 32cm was less pain so this thread is 32cm stance.

Chest up:
    On the squat video of this site, Mark always say "Chest up" to trainees. I suspect if I need more chest up too.

Grip:
    Currently I checked grip issue with Mark's new video also.

Depth:
    It's always not a problem. In this thread, I just tried more deeper form cause I felt hips and hamstrings. But you said not to try this deep so I will not try this deep.

Accident:
    I hurted my upper back when I was 13 years old(28 years old now). After riding Roller Coaster, I was just very sore but a week later it was fine. But it has been bothering me sometimes. I suspect that I have Winging Scapula. When I visited a doctor two years ago, he took X-Ray of me and said I was fine, just resting.
    This accident could be the reason of my lower back pain during the squat even if my form is fine?

Job:
    I'm a student majoring Computer Science so I use computer so long time.

Profile:
    Age 28, Male
    173cm, 67kg

Squat 84kg
    Press 39kg
    Deadlift 98kg
    Bench 55kg
    Power Clean 49kg

Sorry for the very long sentences and poor English.
    But I am really desperate.

Thanks.

Breathe deeply. Things are going to be okay. Realize that training is a process and that sometimes things will start to hurt. When they do, it is your job to figure out whether to train through the injury, or around it, or just lay off entirely. There is nothing in your video that looks injurious. You are underweight, however. Eat, sleep, train. See if putting on about 5 or 10 kg along with continuing to drive your lifts up helps your back and neck feel better.

starting strength coach development program
    I will keep training and eating.

Thank you so much, Tom.